thirty one

"So what the hell are we gonna do?" I ask as Elena stares at the floor in contemplation. Bonnie, Caroline and Alaric dipped to do whatever.

"Seriously you two should just drop it. Why not rid the world of a few more blood suckers?" Jeremy speaks, casually eating an apple and lounging on the couch.

"Because we have a conscience." I say, throwing a pillow at the boy that he only dodges.

"Theres no point in stressing. You can't change the inevitable. Tell her Elena." Before I have a chance to argue we hear a knock at the door.

Me and Elena exchange glances before I stand to get it. I approach the door and open it to find none other than Elijah.

"Oh hey, we definitely weren't just talking about you. Why would you think that?" I gush, nervously as he furrows his eyebrows.

"I did not say anything."

"oh. Right." I say awkwardly as his eyes flicker to behind me, I heard Elena step closer.

"I don't mean to intrude. I was hoping you two might accompany me. I want to show you something."

"What if he like murders us and buries us out here." I whisper to Elena as Elijah's eyes almost immediately meet mine in the rear view mirror.

"Scarlett, whispering does not work around vampires. How many times do I have to tell you that." Elena scolds as I nod in realization.

"I knew that... Elijah would never murder us... haha." I wave her off before looking back to Elijah.

"Right?" He only cocks an eyebrow before parking the car and stepping out. Me and Elena follow. Definitely not fearing for my life.

"Forgot how much I missed this land." He says, taking a deep breath and looking around the wooded area.

I mean whatever floats his boat I guess.

"I can't even imagine what it must have been like a thousand years ago." Elena says, also taking in the scenery.

"You know, your school was built over an Indian village. Where I saw my first werewolf. The town square was where the natives would gather to worship. Matter of fact, near that, there was a field where wild horses use to graze." He speaks, momentarily glancing at the two of us as I watched in confusion.

As much as I loved Elijah's speeches of wisdom, I already pretty much lived with Alaric, I didn't want another history lesson. I can barely handle the ones I'm required to have.

"That's incredible."

"Yeah the horses should make a comeback." I say with a small shrug, making Elijah release a small chuckle. Before motioning to us.

"Come."

"Do you know this place too?" I say looking at the large pile of boulders in curiosity.

"I do. Below us is a cavern I use to play in as a boy. Connects to a system of tunnels that stretch across the entire area. Perhaps it's nature's way of providing us with shelter against the savagery of the full moon. My mother said there must be a balance." He speaks slowly. Theres tension in his words, leading me to believe he knows something.

"Elijah, we should probably go home." Elena speaks. She could feel it too. She quickly exchanges a glance with me.

She was nervous. And I knew if Elena was scared something was definitely about to go back- yaknow with her always seeing the good in people and shit.

"I admire you, Elena. You remind me of qualities I valued long before my mother turned us. It's not in your nature to be deceitful and yet when I asked about your meeting with my mother the other night, you lied to my face." My eyes widen slightly and flicker over to Elena who attempts to brush it off.

"That's not true. I told you that all your mother wanted was a new start." She attempts to play it off.

"I can hear your heartbeat. It jumps when you're being dishonest with me. You lied to me at the ball; you are lying to me now. Tell me the truth." He speaks again. Me and my sister exchange glances once again. Mind reading would be much appreciated right now.

Seriously I was too busy making out with his sociopathic brother I had nothing to do with his mom's murder plot. Why the hell was I dragged along.

"I never wanted this to happen." She says shakily

"What do you both know?"

"We were told that whatever was going to be in that coffin was going to kill Klaus. When we found out that it was your mother....We didn't know what to think."

"Since her return she says she only wants this family whole again."

"When she asked to see me, I...I thought that maybe she could help. That she would find a way to kill Klaus." She trails off, she's scared but still feels guilt. I could somewhat understand why.

"It's not just Klaus that she wants to kill." I speak up making Elijah look as if my words confirmed a theory he already had.

"She wants to kill us all, doesn't she? She wants to undo the evil she created." He says, staring in the distance, almost as if he were talking to himself.

"I'm so sorry, Elijah. I wish there was something I could do to help." Elena gushes.

"You know, one thing I've learned on my time on this Earth...be careful what you wish for." He speaks coldly, before breaking a fucking hole in the earth and grabbing Elena. He then jumps down into the cave, leaving her there.

I stand in shock. I mean I couldn't run. When Elijah is back in front of me he speaks nonchalantly as if he didn't just create a literal hole in the earth.

"You will be joining me today, Scarlett. Lucky you." He says as I gawk at him.

I look down at the hole, to see Elena. She was fine physically but she was also stuck in a creepy ass tavern that she definitely couldn't crawl out of.

I'm sorry but thank god it wasn't me. I hate dark and confined spaces.

You could say I was feeling a little lucky.

"Go Scar. I'll figure something out." She says as my eyes linger on her. I then switch my attention to Elijah who had been staring expectantly.

"Seriously? I didn't even do anything!" I slightly whine crossing my arms as he only gives me a 'what can ya do' look before grabbing me and leading me back to the car.

I was really getting tired of being held hostage, lemme tell you.