fifty three

"This makes me wanna rip off my feet." I mutter in pain as I waddle around in the new pair of heels Caroline had picked for me.

"That's why we're breaking them in before the pageant." Caroline says, laying one dress onto the bed and examining it.

"Pretty sure this is considered blackmail." I sigh, moving the books from my head- apparently my posture wasn't up to par.

After finding Caroline the next day, she promised to not even breathe a word to anyone- after I agreed to let her take control of my participation in the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant- that I planned on dropping out of due to all the crazy shit going on. Honestly didn't even think I would've made the cut.

Caroline's the one who wrote my application so I guess thats the reason why.

"You signed up for Miss Mystic Falls months ago, I'm just influencing you to actually do it." She smiles making me roll my eyes. I look to the bed where one baby pink dress laid.

"It's pretty." I say, approaching the bed and running my fingers across the fabric.

"Obviously, I'm the one who picked it." She jokes, turning to me.

"You have any idea what everyones up to? Damon, Elena and Bonnie took off yesterday to some college and I've barely been seeing Stefan." I say, attempting to walk off with the heels.

"Stefan's been meeting up with he who shall not be named." I look back to Caroline and furrow my brows.

"Why would Klaus and Stefan be hanging out. They like despise each other." I say. It was odd- both of the men had seemed a little busy. I've been a little distracted myself to notice much.

"No idea. Why don't you ask?"

"Everything's sorta complicated. Starting to feel like Avril Lavigne."

"Maybe now is the time for you to explain everything to me." She says, taking the books from my hands and placing them on top if my head. I quickly straighten my posture, hoping they don't fall and smack me in the face.

"It's a long story."

"We have time, trust me."

"Matt?" I raise my voice as I enter the rather vacant Mystic Grill. Of course it wasn't open yet so that probably explained it. I waddled over to the bar, wincing with each step as I do. Those heels really fucked me up- let's hope it heals before the pageant because Caroline will actually kill me if I get on stage walking like a penguin.

"What's up?" He speaks up from the bar that he had been wiping down. I slide into one of the stools.

"Have you seen Rebekah, Stefan or even Klaus? Feels like a ghost town." I say, putting my phone onto the counter.

"Actually I haven't- since yesterday, Rebekah bought me a new truck. But I have been looking for your brother- who's half an hour late by the way." My mouth falls open.

"She didn't buy me a car. I'm the one who actually died- momentarily." I say, crossing my arms with a small pout.

"You can't drive."

"Yeah, I still would've appreciated the thought yaknow." I mutter making Matt shake his head as he continues cleaning around the bar.

"Uh Matt? Scarlett?" A voice speaks from behind me making us both turn to the girl who stood at the door. April Young. Forgot she was even in town.

"Uh, hey, April. We don't open until eleven." He says making her frown slightly.

"Oh, sorry, I wasn't like trying to scare you or stalk you or whatever. I just – I came to ask if you've seen Rebekah." She asks, stepping in and closing the door behind her. They should really lock that thing.