18 | Full of Surprises

Midterm week is around the curb when Jungkook realizes his academic life is going to shit. So far the way Jungkook knew how to save his grades was not having to save them: studying regularly. Guess what, Jungkook has been doing nothing but clownery with the mascot show and now that he is a week away from the midterms, his pants are on fire.

Instinctively, when his life is turning into a rollercoaster ride (or lack of any ride for that matter), Jungkook does what he knows best: invite Jin and Yoongi over. They are a pain in the ass when they play Jesus the Redeemer, but they know how to revive Jungkook better than himself so Jungkook will have to grin and bear it for one afternoon.

They are lounging on Jungkook's couch that noon, having homemade smoothies (Jungkook's acquired specialty from when he started hitting the gym) and Yoongi's in the middle of defending dogs over cats when the main door opens. All three heads turn in unison, eyelids fluttering and hairs brushing back by the sudden wind swirling from the direction of what looks like a living legend. You'd think you were in a movie: the experience is equivalent to one when you finally make out the subject of intimidation.

He's Kim Taehyung, a full-time art-hoe and a massive vagabond as observed by Jungkook who lived with him three days so far. 

There's no way to describe the man as something other than... else.

It's hard to coin words about someone who rarely interacts. You could observe him and try to make assumptions at best, but there is not much to tell about someone who knits and listens to music all day — the much of the day he is home.

Jungkook has witnessed him leave the house at 5 a.m. just today morning, and he is only returning now that it's 1 p.m. in the afternoon. Weird is a word to call him; it doesn't sit right calling someone you know nothing much about weird. Lack of knowledge doesn't justify weird, it only justifies one's pre-existing stereotypes.

"Hi," Jungkook smiles, even knowing that it won't be reciprocated by the man. Taehyung looks at the trio from where he is removing his shoes, the same one expression of no-expression he's had on since day one, nodding once at Jungkook. And then he is rubbing the dust off the ground with his baggy pants all the way to Jungkook's room, closing the door after himself without even having properly acknowledged the presence of the other two boys.

Jin and Yoongi are naturally still staring after the corridor.

Jungkook sighs.

"He's the cousin."

His friends give him the look.

"He's the one, guys."

Yoongi's head falls to the side, blinking too much at once as to tear away the questions that are overwhelming his brain. Jin, on the other hand, takes a huge sip from his smoothie. 

Jungkook empathizes with both, though he doesn't think it's that big of a deal to be different. Taehyung is a man of his own world. Jungkook tries not to disturb him on purpose with an irrational fear of breaking the spell that is keeping the man meditated. He'd like to get to know him, nevertheless. Maybe he is one of those people you have to keep pestering to get them to open up. Now, is Jungkook a guy who'd pester others to open them up? He doesn't think so.

(He might have done a questionable bit of the poking with Jimin, but he's an exception so it doesn't count.)

Fifteen minutes later, as Jin is explaining Jungkook the efficient way to make a studying schedule and Yoongi is agreeing excessively with everything he says, Taehyung walks out of Jungkook's room wearing nothing but a towel around his hips. He seems to have taken a shower – in Jungkook's bathroom because he says the tiles on the common bath don't feel right under his feet – perfect skin glowing by fresh droplets of water in ways that twitch an eye or two.