22 | See For Yourself

Jungkook did it all. 

Brushed a lint off a sleeve.

Applied lip balm.

Watched every piece of leaf sway on the tree across the pavement.

Snapped at every little sound on the neighborhood.

Traced the cracks of the pavement with his shoes... 

He is in the act of letting out his fifth heavy sigh when a black dainty car appears from the bend of the road. 

He clicks his tongue. 

Not impressive.

Oblivious to the glower on Jungkook's face, Shady slides down his rear shade and flashes Jungkook a bright smile. As if he didn't make Jungkook wait for twenty minutes in vein.

"Hop in!" and he chippers.

Jungkook puffs his cheeks painfully as he clicks the door of the passenger seat open and plops himself inside. He tries adjusting his butt on the uncomfortable sponge, giving up when he notices that it's not getting any better. This car must have seen the Korean War.

"Sorry about the interior," Shady says sheepishly, showing enough decency to look guilty. "I was planning to drop by the garage in the morning but got stuck with my pops."

Not that taking this car to an automobile shop would change anything about its tackiness anyway, but that's not the part that has Jungkook's curiosity sparked. He was too upset by his late coming that he almost missed the major change in the man's appearance. 

Shady's hair looks... normal. It's the first time Jungkook is seeing him this put-together, this... normal, really! He has bangs. It's intriguing to watch. For the first time, he does look like a college student more than a rowdy punk. He looks older too.

Jungkook shakes his head. "It's okay," he blinks, pupils blown in interest. "You live with your parents?" 

"Sometimes."

Shady turns his attention to the car, leaving Jungkook hanging to work the engine. It suddenly causes a big screech, making both of them jump in their spots — ending with Shady apologizing and sticking his eyes upfront, lips squeezed tightly in a telling way of his awareness.

Jungkook sighs and throws his head back, letting it roll to the side.

The guy is hopeless, proper hair or not.

Jungkook now knows why the others retreated at Shady's offer to drop them off. They must have known about the shitbox yet went ahead with encouraging Jungkook to accompany him just so the poor noble boy didn't feel bad. 

It's silent in the car for a while, with Jungkook watching familiar streets pass by and Shady whistling to the tune of a hip-hop song in the radio. He's a little out-of-tune, but it doesn't bother Jungkook. That feeling is so common around Shady lately — that things aren't perfect but they rather be manageable than that. Shady is the type of guy to get a job done, needless to say. It's satisfying in an odd way.

"Where did you get this car, anyway?" Jungkook suddenly asks, feeling easy-going enough.

Shady looks surprised to hear him talk. "It's my dad's."

Jungkook nods, shyly stealing a glance at him. He is still staring ahead, as if imposing the conversation is over. It's not Jungkook's fault that all conversations come around to his dad.

But Jungkook is feeling sorta bratty. That old feeling of wanting to bug this guy still lingers somewhere inside him, and he is itching to get under his skin... juuust a little bit.