Chapter 19: Sleepover

Angelina's POV

Flashback (1st Grade)

"Angel! The ice cream truck just came!" Drew hollers from the water fountain. He had gone to fill my water bottle. I run over to him after dusting my skirt since we were playing in the sand pit.

"Let's go and eat chocolate chip ice cream." He says the moment I reach him. It is our favorite ice cream. I look longingly at the truck but I can't eat it.

"I don't want to eat it." I lie.

"What? But it is our favorite." He gives me a disbelieving look. I don't answer because I can't lie anymore.

"What is it?" He asks.

"If I eat it I will get even fatter." I confess.

"But you are not fat." He says confused.

"But everyone says I am."

"If you are fat then I am fat too and we will get fatter together." He says making me laugh.

"But you are not fat." I point out.

"Then you are not fat too, now let's eat ice cream." We both run to the ice cream truck after taking money from our moms.

This always happens. Every time I am even attracted to someone these memories come back reminding me of him. They think I never tried to get over him but they are wrong. I have, but I can't because no one seems good enough in front of him. So I don't even try to go out with the guy I am attracted to because it wouldn't be fair to him.

When I look into the mirror to brush my hair and make eye contact with the mirror me, I am reminded of another fact. Drew always liked my eyes and used to say that they make me look even more like an Angel.

I let out a long sigh and shake my head trying to clear it from all these memories. Then I look over to my clock which is showing 7 PM. Today is Saturday which means our sleepover is today.
We made Chris agree for it because we want to know more about Dylan and his relationship. He was reluctant but we told him to come this one time and if he wants to he can bail from the next time. We could have talked to him outside but having too many friends results in anyone barging when you want to talk about something in private.

Giving myself a once over in the mirror for the last time, I grab my night bag and go down the stairs into the hall.

"Hello!" I greet the moment I enter.

"Hello sweetie! Are you all set for the sleepover?" Mom inquires. Mom will always be mom.

"Yes, and before you ask I have my night clothes, two pair of day clothes, toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, phone and it's charger, rubber bands," I point out everything as I speak so that she is satisfied then add "and I don't need a sleeping bag since Tay is staying over at one of her friend's house."

"Did you take pillow?" Mom asks. She is kidding right?

"Rosie has pillows at her home!"

"What if they are not enough for all of you?" She asks genuinely worried. I send Dad a pleading look.

"Darling she has got everything she needs. Why don't we go and watch that movie you were telling me about?" Dad says trying to distract her.

"Oh right! I almost forgot about it. Bye sweetie and have fun!" Mom exclaims and then drags Dad with her. When Dad turns I wave and he waves back.

"Big B, I need a ride!" I yell.

"Call someone" He yells back.

"Katie's car is in servicing so Chris is picking her up." I yell back. This is the way we converse most of the times.