Chapter 22: Business Party

Jacob's POV

Did you ever have to do something you don't want to do, but have to because if you don't do it then it will sabotage your plans? Even if you have, it can't certainly be as boring as talking to some adults. I like talking about business, but I can't fathom how the adults talk about business for hours at one end.

Before the party there was a meeting for discussion of plans and my Dad wanted me to be there. Since it's my final year of high school, he thinks I am ready to at least know the basics. After the meeting, I had just about enough time to get ready and pick up Em. And when I returned, they were still discussing about business. But the teenagers including my friends haven't arrived yet, so I have no excuses to make. So I am stuck listening to them while Em is sitting with my Mom but I try to give our inputs in between.

Speaking of Em, she is wearing a red dress with strap on only one shoulder and she looks gorgeous in it. Her hair is half up and half down. In order to match her, I wore my slim fit black blazer, white dress shirt and a red bow-tie. The blazer has self design flowers with red center. As for my hair, I slicked them back but used less gel so that they seem natural. And sure enough some strands are naturally falling down but it looks good, at least according to me.

As for the party, it has a really elegant setting with a pianist playing near one corner. The rest of the room is filled with tables of all sizes with space left in the center. The waiters are roaming around the room with trays of champagne and are asking the people seated on tables for starters. When a waiter asks me if I want champagne, I take a glass and turn back to the conversation in hand.

"We should take the Texas deal. We have not set our feet there yet and it can be beneficial for us." One of my Dad's colleagues says.

"But they are high on quality. If we go with the quality they are asking for, we may go into loss." Another one points out whom I recall Dad introducing as Mr. Parker.

"If they are so high on quality, surely we can negotiate the payment up enough to get a bit of profit. That way we can show them we are taking less pay than the others. And by sacrificing a little bit of profit now, we can set our foot in Texas resulting in more deals there which would turn out in our favor in long run." I suggest.

"How do you know they will increase the pay?" Mr. Parker asks.

"We can just show them how much it would cost them with other companies. Either they will increase the pay or agree to reduce the quality. Anyway if we present our deal properly, I am sure they would be smart enough to know that our deal will be the best for them." I counter. His face becomes a bit sour so I look over at Dad to see if I did the wrong thing. He just has a small smile on his face.

"That's a good idea." One of them says and the others agree. I can't help but let out a smile as well. After some time, I notice Em excusing herself and going somewhere. That's when I realize Justin and Rose are sitting at a table and Drake and Katie are going there as well.

"Gentlemen, excuse me please. It was a pleasure talking to you all. But I have a date and some friends to entertain as well." I give them an apologetic smile.

"It was a pleasure talking to you as well. You have quite a gem here, Mr. Wilson. I hope you enjoy the party." Mr. Jhonson says. He is the triplets' Dad; it's weird that they didn't even come to meet him. Maybe they didn't want to get stuck talking about business.

"I am sure, I will."

When I reach the table I blurt quickly, "I am really sorry Em, Dad wanted me to talk to them and I didn't know what excuse to make."

She just sighs then says, "Just sit down and entertain me for rest of the evening. And anyways it was really good talking to your Mom." She shrugs.