||||17. The poem she never learnt||||

To Starlight26601, thank you for never losing hope on anything I did and renewing me with enthusiasm, everytime. I love you and have a great birthday!🥺♥️

___________________________________

You were lost in thoughts when you saw Seokjin coming in with two cups of coffee. "Two spoons of sugar with cream," he spoke, as he handed a cup to you. You smiled as you took a sip. Quite inadvertently, your eyes stole a glance at the photoframes.

"Dr. Kim, do you know about the ill-fated story of Orpheus and Eurydice?"

Seokjin stops drinking his coffee and looks as if thrown off-guard.

"Is it about the poet and musician, who went as far as hell, to bring back his dead wife?"

You nod, sighing heavily. "A wonderful story, it was..."

"How? He loses her, all because he could not wait. What was the purpose of it all?"

You sigh again before replying, "The purpose was to see her for one last time. To bade her a farewell."

Seokjin looks at you grimly, as you brace yourself, to watch your past unfold, all over again.

*

"Ahhh, what the heckkk?" you groan in frustration as you slam a book down on the table.

"Well calm down, lady," Namjoon speaks, as he arranges a pile of books. "At this rate, I might be fired from my own shop."

"Its disgusting," you whine. "Why would you look back, Orpheus? And just before stepping out of underworld? Why man, why?"

Namjoon chuckles as he stacks the rest of the books and joins you. "Well, it's romantic..."

"How?" you exasperate, with widened eyes.

"Chill, woman," he smiles, and brushes his hair. "It is romantic. Well if Orpheus, didn't look back, then, he would not lose Eurydice, and he would not compose what is known as love poems and odes, caused by his heartbreak."

You ponder at his words, while gaping into the illustrated painting of Orpheus staring at Eurydice, as her soul returns into the Underworld.

"Here, they kind of look like whispering each other a goodbye," you mumble, as you look into the picture, intently. 

"Well, maybe that's why he went in after all," Namjoon whispers.  "To bade her a final farewell."

While looking into the picture, something strikes you as you blurt out. "Oh my god, is this where you get the inspiration for your love poems from?"

Namjoon reddens like a tomato on hearing that, and buries his face. "They are not love poems," he mumbles.

"Well they very much are," you respond with a firm resolve, picking up his poem book. "This poem which says, 'I'll wait for you, even when spring turns to winter. For you resonate in my heart forever. They call me selfish, yes, but for you I would be. For with you, I'm complete, and without you, an emptiness would I be.' How is this not a love poem, Kim Namjoon?"

"Ith iff noff," he replies, his face still hidden with his arms.

You look at him adorably. "It is Kim Namjoon. It is just the thing Orpheus would tell Eurydice to prevent her from leaving him forever. Or it is the thing Hades would tell Persephone, to not let her return to earth. He would gladly pawn for the winter on earth, to not make underworld colder, without her presence."