Chapter 23

That morning, Izuku woke up after Shoto. When his green eyes fluttered open, he saw that Shoto was staring into space, lost in thought while dragging his fingers up and down Izuku's upper arm.

"Do you want to wait for him up here, or do you want to go downstairs and maybe get food?" Izuku asked, trying to add a small laugh at the end to hopefully lighten the atmosphere. It didn't seem to work.

"It doesn't really matter, does it? I'm going to have to deal with this either way. At least downstairs there's food." Shoto muttered, but made no move to get up.

Izuku let out a shaky breath, his anxiety skyrocketing. "I know you're upset Shoto, but just hear him out, okay? If he only has a terrible excuse, you can leave and you'll never have to see him again. But... just let him have a chance to explain himself, everyone deserves that." He mumbled, not even sure if it was loud enough for the dual haired man to hear.

"Yeah, I know." Shoto said back, just as quiet.

The two got up and got dressed, neither saying a word. The air around them was tense with the eerie silence. When they left Izuku's apartment and made their way downstairs, Shoto held a death grip on the smaller man's hand, as if bracing himself for some sort of impact.

They didn't bother knocking as they walked in. It didn't appear Katsuki was awake yet, so they both just settled themselves in the living room. Izuku ended up nearly on top of Shoto as the taller of them clung to him like a security blanket.

And that was how Katsuki found them when he stumbled out of his room, rubbing the remaining sleep from his eyes. He had heard someone enter the house and had woken up from it. Let's just say, Shoto wasn't really concerned with being quiet so the blond could continue sleeping.

He seemed slightly surprised to see them both there, having expected that he'd be the one taking the stairs up to them. He got over it quick, instead saying, "I assume you came down here for food." As he made his way into the kitchen to start breakfast.

Izuku was feeling more and more awkward by the second. He didn't think he should really be present for this conversation. He and Shoto were kind of a thing, and he and Katsuki were supposed to be kind of a thing, but then that conversation was interrupted. He probably would have stayed up stairs if he didn't think Shoto needed him with in arms reach in order to be able to face this conflict.

That and he wanted to make sure no one died.

The grip on Izuku's mid section tightened when the blond had walked in, so he was now chest to chest with Shoto, who had his head hid in the crook of Izuku's neck. "I don't want to do this." He whispered.

Izuku let his fingers knot themselves into the other's hair, trying to calm down the race heart he felt against his own. "It's gonna be okay, I promise." He whispered.

Seeing as the downstairs had a pretty open floor plan, Katsuki had been able to see the two clearly from the kitchen, his questioning gaze going unnoticed by the two on the couch.

"What happened between you two? You seem more... attacked now." Katsuki observed from where he stood, back against the counter.

Shoto scoffed at the blond, wondering just who the hell he thought he was. "Are you serious? Does this upset you, Katsuki?" He asked, clearly pissed off by the question.

The blond's eyes widened as he realized how the other had taken the question. "Wait, that's not-" He cut himself off when he saw that Izuku was trying to calm Shoto down.

"You know that's not what he meant." Izuku whispered, placing his forehead on Shoto's, who's eyes were tightly shut. "Besides, he has a right to know about last night. He's still your boyfriend." He gently reminded.

"A cheating boyfr-" Shoto tried to snarl out, but Izuku shushed him, a glare present.

"They didn't kiss, Shoto. You don't know what happened for them to end up like that, so stop jumping to conclusions. You're acting like a petty high school." Izuku lightly scolded. "Hear him out before you decide that he's wronged you."

"At least I kissed the guy we actually agreed on." Shoto grumbled, trying to weakly continue the argument, too stubborn to just give in already.

Izuku was about to smack him and remind him that Katsuki and Kirishima hadn't kissed, but Katsuki beat him to speaking.

"Wait, you guys kissed?" He asked, not being able to keep the happiness from his voice. Even if Shoto would never forgive him and they ended it right there and then, at least he'd have Izuku. At least he'd be able to be happy.

"Yeah," Shoto snapped at him. "You would know that if you weren't about to shove your tongue down another guy's throat."

"Jesus Christ!" Izuku exclaimed. "Kacchan, either you explain what the hell happened last night, and fast, or I'm leaving and staying with Shinsou for a few days to let you two battle it out." He threatened.

Even though the threat was mainly directed at Shoto, Katsuki still took it in stride and was quick to start explaining. "Last night I was- Well I was really pissed off and upset, with the Monoma thing and the fact Shoto still wasn't talking to me." He started.

"I had no clue what was going to happen between us," Katsuki said, looking at Shoto. "I was distracted trying to think of how to fucking apologize, which is why I just let shitty hair drag me back here. I was too lost in thought to even noticed we stopped walking until I pushed up against a wall. I asked him what the hell he thought he was doing and he just confessed to me. I was about to yell at him when you two walked in." He finished, messing his fingers in his lap. "I swear, that's all that happened." He added at the end.

The room feel into silence as Katsuki waited for someone to either accept his story or curse him out and accuse him of lying.

"You seemed to have a nasty habit of over reacting, huh?"

Shoto and Katsuki both snapped their heads to look at Izuku, who was trying to hold back his laughter at the misunderstanding.

"I do not! How was I supposed to know he was about to cuss out the damn handsy redhead?" Shoto defended, looking like he was ready to just push the laughing Izuku off his lap.

"You would listen to his side though, already having made up your mind." Izuku pointed out, then his laughing shifted to a frown. "Who hurt you?" He asked, his eyes shifting all over Shoto's face for the smallest give away.

"Whoa, how'd we get to this topic?" Shoto asked, clearly confused by Izuku's sudden shift.

"You were so quick to just accept that Kacchan betrayed you like that, you hurt you enough to lose your trust in the people you love?" Izuku explained.

"Okay," Katsuki cut in, dragging out the word. "We don't have time to unpack all of that."

Shoto dragged a hand down his face and let out a sigh. "This means I have to explain my tragic back story again, doesn't it?" He asked Katsuki, making Izuku's frown deepen.

The blond nodded. "Yup, I'll grab the popcorn."