forty three.

⠀⠀˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳ 𝐭𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 — 𝟖:𝟑𝟔 𝐚𝐦⠀

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳
𝐭𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 — 𝟖:𝟑𝟔 𝐚𝐦

today's school day was somewhat laidback, based on the notes and assignments taken the previous day, the boy knew today would be the only chance he had. that's why he was tugging his coat closer around him while he sat on the bus, missing the usual stop near the high school and continuing on to the other side of the city.

it rained that morning, leaving the sky to seem gloomy and reflect in the puddles left on sidewalks and dips in the road. the bus hit one of the dips, making taehyung bounce in the plastic seat he chose next to the window. he had been staring at the little drops that clung to the glass, much like the way he clutched to his school bag on his lap. he wondered what hoseok would be doodling in chem lecture right now, certainty not paying any mind to the words leaving their teachers mouth.

it's funny to think that taehyung never skipped class before these past few months, let along missing out on a whole day entirely for the second time. that had his leg bouncing with the nerves flowing through his body, trying to remember the different things he told people to cover his butt.

according to his friends he was feeling sick and staying home, his mother thinks he's doing extracurricular help in the main office which is why his friends wouldn't have seen him in class if she asked, his brother was told he was studying after school so he didnt need a ride, and jungkook — taehyung winced a little. he didn't like coming up with a lie for him. he just didn't say anything, nothing more than a promise to meet up later like usual.

through the raindrops he started the recognize these apartment buildings that became less and turned into more nicer and bigger homes. the bus stop was a few blocks down, and taehyung thanked the man while throwing on his backpack and jumping down the couple steps to the sidewalk outside.

it felt like it was burning through everything, right through the paper covering, that unopened chemistry textbook, the fabric of his backpack, and straight through his coat to stain his skin in red and remind him what he was doing.

you're fine, it's harmless. taehyung kept reminding himself as he walked.

the boy still clutched tighter onto his backpack straps and jumped over puddles even though his converse were beyond dirty already. his eyes didn't pick up from the sidewalk, not when he knew this walk so well. he's come this way so many times he'd probably make it with his eyes closed completely.

the bushes were most familiar, lining the gated fence and hiding the lawn and adding to that privileged privacy. taehyung looked them best during the summer when it was warm enough for the little flowers to bloom and bees to stop by during the day.

then there was his mailbox, a solid dark wood structure with numbers and letters in shiny silver on the side of it. it matched the gate and even the front doors of the large home. taehyung felt the twist in his stomach and realized he came all this way already, he couldn't just dip. so he took his backpack off his shoulder, thankful that not many people were out this early on a tuesday morning.

the envelope was found easily, sitting by itself in a folder between a notebook and chemistry textbook. it was smooth and professional looking, it had to be, since taehyung saw the stack in one of the front desk drawers at the fitness center.

this wasn't wrong. he was helping. at least, that's what he continued to tell himself as he opened the mailbox and left the envelope inside, closing it and staring at those silver numbers. taehyung came here all the time. now would be the last time, he promised himself that as he stared at that mailbox.

a little weight seemed to be lifted from he boys chest, and what he thought was guilt seemed to float away and disappear into those grey clouds hanging low over seoul. taehyung held onto his backpack, and he walked along he sidewalk, this time not bothering to miss the puddles.

there was so much time to kill, he had a whole school day to miss until all his little fibs ran out. taehyung walked past the bus stop he got off from, deciding walking would take longer and he could find something to do.

there were little shops, and clothing stores, and jewelry boutiques in this part of the city. taehyung paused for a moment, and then a smile broke out on his lips knowing where he was and where he could go. it wasn't too far from here, just a few buildings down and around the corner with dark blue canopies over the large windows holding display tables of various candies and desserts.

taehyung smelt it before he saw it. those canopies stuck out greatly against the gloomy day, beckoning people inside the warmth of the shore and away from humid air that hung low and whispered close to your ears while you walked. taehyung took his coat off when he walked in, and that smile didn't falter when he looked around the small shop.

it smelled sweet with a mix of fresh brewed coffee. everything was neutral colored, varying shades of browns and beiges from oak tables and their sets of metal chairs to the wooden beams going across the ceiling and the lighter wooden stands holding jars of jams and candies. taehyung left his coat and backpack on a seat with a table set for two. it was neat the window, plus it wasn't too busy in here today so he wasn't afraid of leaving his things alone.

taehyung walked around the displays and even grabbed a few items, some taffy for jimin and a can of coffee beans for his mother. he heard his cousin before he saw him, the mans tall figure standing behind the counter and talking with a customer. he had a huge smile, so welcoming and friendly it was perfect for a place like this to make people want to come in and even return in the future. taehyung couldn't help but smile himself, walking up to the counter with his two items and setting them on the surface.

"hello, did you find everything you needed today-" he paused when noticing the smaller boy on the other side of the counter — and then that smile. "taehyung! it's good to see you, how've you been?" that friendly persona came so naturally to the male, and he kept it up while ringing the boys products up to pay for.

taehyung took out some cash from his pocket, a small smile watching his cousin, "hey jin hyung," he said, greeting him politely and pausing to count his money first. "uh, it's been really good actually. namjoon won his competition."

"tell him congrats for me." jin said, setting the plastic bag on the counter and nudging it towards the younger in exchange for money in his palm. "looks like i'll have some competition." he joked. jin was family, he knew very well of his cousins plans to have his own corner store. running his own kept the male busy, missing out on free time and typically only seeing the other kims during holiday get togerhers.

taehyung laughed quietly and took his bag. "you've got the coffee and candy business in lock. namjoon wants more deli type things."

"of course" jin smiled, "it was nice seeing you, maybe we can catch up properly." he suggested and got a nod in return, the two of them saying goodbye so the older could continue helping other customers with their items.

taehyung went back to his seat where his things were, taking a seat and pulling out the bag of taffy. he tore off the corner and only took out a few, making sure to leave the rest for his best friend. he sat and chewed on the taffy, tasting fruity flavors and listening to the soft background music in the small shop.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬