Reason 14: A Beautiful Past

Armed Detective Agency
Hinatsuri

I woke up feeling so tired and found myself inside a familiar room. It was the infirmary. Yosano-sensei must have healed me already though I could still feel a few stings here and there. It could be from the deep wounds I sustained. Yawning, I pushed myself off the bed and cleaned myself in the comfort room. There was nothing I could do with the blood on my clothes, but a cloak should be enough to cover it until I get home.

After cleaning, I opened my phone up and tweaked it. There were several reports in, and I replied with immediate attention. There was no need for my words on that. Sighing, I tweaked it again and closed my phone. The door to the infirmary opened, and I saw Atsushi peek his head.

"Hina, you're awake! We were worried when Dazai-san came in all bloody. What happened to you?" He asked. I sheepishly laughed and told him that I used my ability so much.

"Does using your All Seeing Eyes really cause you to be in that state!?" Suddenly remembering that I have not told him about my other ability, I played off my excuse card. I told him that I also got into physical fight and had become reckless. Guess what, I actually received a sermon from him.

"You're already what? Fourteen? Fifteen? Please take care of yourself more." He reminded. I just realized that I missed my own birthday days ago. I was already 15 starting from now.

Atsushi was about to leave when I asked where Yosano-sensei was because I wanted to treat her with something for healing me. I always do this, so there was no harm on it. He informed me that she was out with Ranpo-san to get more information about the Guild. Nodding, I let him leave.

"I wonder what the Guild is up to right now? With Q gone and a couple of their members down, they would probably do something drastic. These days had been tiring, and I just want a moment when I can laze around."

Unknown Apartment
Ranpo and Yosano

"Invitation to a game of deduction? It's probably a trap." Yosano blurted, skeptical about the whole challenge thing. Ranpo chuckled and opened his eyes slightly to see the first challenge attached to the front door.

"Yosano-san, lend me a pen." He asked. After he was given the pen, he answered it immediately and opened the door. It was a spacious room inside with only a table and shelves full of novels on mystery. Ranpo rushed ahead and demanded if the person scribbling on the table was the one who called for him. Smiling, the man greeted him. The peculiar thing about him, aside from his aura, was the raccoon perched on his shoulder.

Ranpo showed him the paper to which the man commended him for answering right. The detective placed the paper on his table and fixed his acute glasses before asking who he was. Shocked, the man started stuttering, mumbling words such as finally challenging him and whatnot. Irritated, Ranpo ordered him to speak up louder.

"Got it! My name is Poe. I am a great detective as well as writer in America. I was the one... who lost to you in a detective showdown six years ago. The humiliation from that day has been plaguing me!" He voiced out.

"Oh cut the crap! Where's the deduction game?" He imposed while thrashing his room, looking for the same game. Poe cried at his ruthlessness before pointing out how their fate was at stake because of the game. Honestly, Ranpo did not care.

Poe sulked down and talked to his raccoon pet, Carl, who chomped his hand while giving treats. After a while, he stood back up and grabbed the book from his desk. He told him that he will have to read it and find out who the true killer was. It was already a minus point on Ranpo's list. To him, mystery novels were nothing and will never satisfy a great detective like him. Poe smirked, already predicting his egocentric point of view.