Reason 17: Life's Mosaic

'Hey, what is it that you desire?'

'Riches! I wish to own every property there is!'

'Hey, what is it that you desire?'

'Power! I want to be undefeated.'

'Hey, what is it that you desire?'

'Love. I want that person to love me again.'

'Hey, what is it that you desire?'

'Death! Death on the people who scorned me!'

'Hey, what is it that you desire?'

'How about you? What do you wish in life?'

The grantor remained silent. They pondered for a moment before relaying their wish. Life was their desire. They wanted to live like how humans do. Strive if they must. The grantee smiled and wrote it in the book.

'May my grantor live a happy life, with a complete family and feel love for the majority of their life.' It was a naive yet truthful wish they ever granted. A bright light escaped from book and in front, stood a young woman with white hair and blue eyes. She smiled at her grantee.

'You are a selfless man, Yoshihide. Will you be my family?' She asked. The man, Yoshihide, nodded and led her back to his home. Together, they lived their lives in peace as a married man and woman. He worked hard as a painter for the daimyo while she worked as a seamstress. It was all well until the daimyo, whom he was currently working for, burnt all of their ownership. The two stood wide-eyed at the crimson flames that engulfed their home.

'Tell me, Hina! What have we done for the daimyo to do this!? We were kind to them. We never did harm!' He wailed. Hinatsuri, the name he gave his grantor, crouched down defeated, but a strange glint appeared on her eyes. The book was safe from the fire, so she gave it to him.

'I can grant you any wish, Yoshihide. You just have to write in this book.' She muttered. He had been a good man and this time, even if it meant he had to be selfish, she will do as he desired. Yoshihide glanced from the burning house to her illuminated figure. He found solace in her arms. He knew that his wife had been with him due to his wish, and if he were to ask once more, there must be a sacrifice offered.

'Hina. No, I can't. I can't, but my hands won't stop writing! Argh! Why?' He cried. Hinatsuri wiped his tears and whispered in his ear.

'Because that is what being a human is. You greed. You wish. You desire. It's all right. Don't fear. I am that.' She hugged his figure. Yoshihide felt all his strength drain out of his body. Only the warmth of his wife remained true to his senses. Without an ounce waste, Hinatsuri grabbed the book from his hands and read his wish. Light spread out of her body, and diminished inside the book. It had been done. She smiled and give her lover one final kiss.

'Rest. I am now taking the price of your wish.' The loving memories of Yoshihide were gone in an instant. In order to complete what he desired, he will have to live a new life, away from the daimyo. Emptiness will be there, but her Yoshihide was a strong man. She used the remaining strength she had and delivered her husband next town where he will live a happy life.

'Now, I will have to find my next master. Will he/she be like my dear Yoshihide?' She smiled ruefully. The wind blew hard and all that remained was a white book on the floor.

Underground Laboratory
Four and a Half Years Before Meeting Atsushi

Ever since Hinatsuri could remember, she had always been inside a cramped space. There was no recollection when she had been there. Only two voices were all she was familiar with. They were always shouting, verbally speaking out their words in anger and desperation. Obsession was also evident in one man's tone. Those were the only things she knew, as far as she could recall.