Reason 31: Of Angels and Demons

"Ahaha! This is true bliss. Can't you feel it?" Ivan asked. The bliss he had been searching for was finally in his hands especially after his master had removed the part of his brain that caused him unhappiness. Humans fear what they do not understand nor see, but true happiness can only be achieved when one devotes himself beyond the things known. The fact that they came here was the proof that they could not understand how Fyodor's mind worked.

"If you take the hideout, you'll find Master Fyodor. Who promised you that?" He asked, mockery evident in his eyes. Akutagawa's eyes widened in realization. From the start, Fyodor was never in the coal mine. He could not believe it because how else would he be able to direct them without knowing what was happening inside the mine. Ivan revealed that it was through music. Radio waves were used to communicate with each other. Not even the best kind of hacking or super deduction could detect that.

30 Minutes Earlier
Downtown Yokohama
Cafe

"An opera cake, huh? How generous." Hinatsuri praised, sitting down in front of the man who started the cat-and-mouse chase. He opened his purple orbs and let out a small sigh before sipping his coffee. The tension between them subsided when she noticed the number of teaspoons beside his coffee. A chuckle escaped her lips to which she tried to hide. Fyodor looked up in question and noticed her pointing at the spoons.

"I don't prefer bitter coffee that much, and I think you don't as well? Not as far as I could recall." He retorted. She shrugged her shoulders and sliced a piece of the opera cake. It was luscious and creamy inside that it easily melted in her mouth. Just like how his plan flowed. Yet, it left a bitter taste due to the dark chocolate in it, similar to how she and the others had foiled it.

Putting down the spoon, she looked at him. There was one single question that lingered in their minds. What will be your next move? They both thought. However, there was one thing he wanted to know first.

"Did you use your ability to find that subordinate of mine?" He asked. Hinatsuri shook her head no. All of it was the Agency and the Mafia's effort. Surprisingly, without her using the All-Seeing Eyes, Katai was able to trace the ability-user's hideout. Natsume was also able to utilize his own means to send information to Dazai. Her job, on the other hand, was to give Ranpo a small clue in order not to let even one life be sacrificed.

Fyodor did not like her actions. Her interfering meant that she sided with the enemy all along, especially when somebody like her must remain neutral. A cold, hard glare made its way to his face and asked why her opinions continue to tilt towards the Agency and the Mafia. She turned her gaze to the balcony where the bustling city could be seen as well as the vast sea. Knowing what he wanted, she gave him an answer.

"I see. Then let me say this." A warning was all it takes for her eyes to make its way to his eyes. He will make his words come true, no matter what. The naivety she tried to claim in her own hands had slipped once more. Her knowledge will certainly cause her the greatest pain one day.

The Russian sipped his coffee and smirked internally. It will be difficult to control the teen in front of him, but it was only a matter of time. He did pity her, but his wish was stronger than his feelings for the girl. If they were truly destined to be enemies even if she had to remain neutral in this battle, he will use all means to defeat them. Even if it meant her life.

Hinatsuri sighed and hid her eyes using her hat. Although they had won against him for now, he will retaliate with something stronger. All-Seeing Eyes could only give her a glimpse and not the whole event. Just then, she noticed him listening to his earpiece. It must have meant that Atsushi and Akutagawa had done their jobs. However, she did not hear a voice, just music.

'Was that music a code?' She thought. Fyodor saw her confused look and chuckled. He stood up and kissed the back of her hand while whispering a few words. He left her with a kiss on the cheek.