One | 一

"Again!"

The Captain tossed the ball and a slight thud sounded off the wall. My feet moved automatically as I stare wide-eyed at the swirling red, green and white ball. Pushing myself forward, my chest slid across the ground; stretching my arm out as the ball came down like a cannonball. A disaster would be inevitable if I let this ball hit the ground, destroying what we worked on for so long, piece by piece. The ball landed heavily onto the fist I made and launched it back into the air, saving our team we worked so hard to build.

"You're always working so hard [Y-n] it's just  practice you know" Michimiya chuckled as she held the next Volleyball in her hand. Lifting my body up as I got off the floor, I rubbed the back of my head as laughter escaped my throat. "Gomen but I have to make sure that no matter where the ball is, I'll be there on time to save us" Justifying my actions Michimiya smiled and put the ball back into the basket "Then I better not wear you out, our Libero."

The school bell had finally rung, signaling the ending of class, and the beginning of club activities. I exited my classroom and watched an orange and black tornado tear through the halls. Their yelling of competition began letting everyone in a two-mile radius know in advance to move to the side of the hall. My throat tickled from the laugh I was holding back; holding my cheek in my palm as I remembered the second day of club activities.

"Nande? What do you mean you didn't get into Volleyball?" I choke through disbelief and Hinata smiled as we continued walking toward the gymnasiums "The captain wants me to get along with a guy from a different class" his pleasant mood becoming off-putting considering his situation. Confusion finally got the best of me as I pinched the bridge of my nose and closed my eyes "I'm lost" admitting defeat in trying to understand.

Hinata explained his middle school match with another player named Kageyama Tobio and how they fought at practice yesterday; accidentally knocking off the Principals toupee in the process, but Hinata quickly swore for me to not tell anyone. "So if you two don't win then.. Kageyama can't be the Setter?" asking to make sure I'm caught up, Hinata nodded and lead me to my next question "Do you know who you're facing yet?" my head tilted and Hinata shook his head No "All I know is that they're also first-years" Hinata elaborated. A deep breath escaped my throat, and I scratched my cheek "You always get yourself in crazy situations, you know that?" I chuckled as we arrived at the girls' practice hall.

"I'm looking forward to seeing this Tobio guy set so you guys better win" I cheered him on and he raised both of his fist excitedly and nodded his head "Yeah!".

The next day of activities Hinata had a sour look on his face and explained to me who he was up against "He's tall for his age and mean! And his has this dude that follows him like a side-kick" Hinata had a fire burning in him just talking about the two. For the next week I helped prepare the two by passing balls to Kageyama and having Hinata work on his receives; the next day the two told me how they won the 3-on-3 I couldn't help to feel a little pride in the two boys and their determination.

Kageyama and Hintas' yelling died down as they got further into the school; I could hear a teacher yelling at the two to quiet down and I finally let out the laugh I held in before heading to my club activities. Unlike the two, they easily accepted me into the female volleyball team with open arms and praised for my own outstanding skills and determination.

"Gather round!" Michimiya called and everyone dropped what they were doing to listen to the captain, I quickly put the ball onto the ground and jogged over to the group. When I squeezed my way into the group Michimiya looked around "Is everyone here- Ah Alright! So I spoke with the Boys' Volleyball Captain and we decided we will have a mixed practice tomorrow!". She stopped and cleared her throat to speak again "We both agreed that it was beneficial to speak and share techniques with our peers and watch and see how these boys train. Please learn something from tomorrows practice".

Two girls cheered at opportunity of seeing the boys in action, I felt excitement build in my stomach and I quickly jumped towards Manami; the other first year and one of the two setters on the team. Manami had a good six centimetres over me (3 inches) so I had to look up while speaking to her. "Ne Ne, There's a Setter on the boy's team that I got to practice with that I think you'll really admire" I swayed around and she raised her thin brows "Now that you bring it up, I think I heard of him... Isn't it Tobio Kageyama in class 1-3?" Manami asked and I quickly nodded my head "Mhm! He's super smart! And when he sets balls up its like really fast!".

"When he sets is it like Woosh or shoom?" Manami grabbed my shoulders and sweat dropped down my face as I tried to make out what she said "Woosh? Shoom?" I repeat back and she let go and went deep into thought "Maybe Swish- Owa! What if its like zwah!" she plopped her fist down into her open palm as if she concluded something.

Chizuru our third year Middle Blocker walked over toward the two of us and raised her eyebrows "Is Manami okay?" she asked and we both looked over to her; she was now whispering to herself words like 'Woosh' and 'Swoosh' "I think she need some time to figure out her feelings" I concluded and Chizuru nodded before looking back at me "Also [Y-n], there's no official Libero on the boy's team as of now so you and Tadako are exempt from practice if you both want".

No official Libero... Just what happened?

Shaking my head, I give my hand a slight wave from side to side "Daijohbu, I'll still go! I'm sure I can still learn a lot while I'm there!" I persist, and Chizuru smiled and placed her hand on my head roughly. "You're so hard-working~ No doubt you'll make a great Captain one day" her voice was sincere but her hand slowly crushed me "Chizuru-Senpai please spare me-" I begged and a whistle cleared the room "Back to training! We'll be working on receiving now!" Michimiya ordered and Chizuru's hand lifted off my head.

"Hai!"

We all lined up and questions clouded my thoughts as my team mates received the balls ahead of me.

Now that I think about it, I only know Hinata, Kageyama and Tanaka-Senpai.. I wonder what the other players are like? Are they pushed to their full capacity? Hinata talks highly of his captain, so I believe that they're treated well. Still, I wonder what kind of people they have on their team...

"[Y-n] it's your turn!" Michimiya called out to me and I quickly ran out into the court "Right!" I called and got into position. Michimiya spiked the ball down with a large slap and my legs moved to the trajectory of the ball; my knees bent as I shifted my body weight forward, the ball spiraled as it came down onto my arms and slapped my skin. The stinging sensation reminded me why I was here, why I loved Volleyball so much. I looked back up with a smile so wide it could tear my cheeks.

"Yosh!"