Twenty-Two | 二十二

My...

"Never play again?" Michimiya repeated, her voice was disheartened and her hands shook from the words.

Fault...

"You... You can't take that away from her!" Manami shot up from her chair as tears streamed down her face, "Volleyball is her life! It will kill her if you take that away!" She screamed and more of the girls cried.

This is my fault...

Sugawara held his hand on his mouth in disbelief as he looked over at Daichi with a somber look on his face. Hinata and Kageyama clenched their fist as they looked down at the ground as sobs filled the room and Tanaka and Nishinoya looked away silently but their shoulders shook from shaky breaths, Yamaguchi held his face in his hands while Tsukishima stared at the Doctor with his lips slightly parted.

"If she's able to get surgery and recover fully once again, she might be able to play but, how it looks right now.. her heart is frail and demanding activities will be hard on her" The doctor finished up as he looked at his watch "I must be leaving now, it's best if you folks get some rest and come back tomorrow" he offered before he walked back behind the double doors.

The entire room only sounded of whimpers and cursing, Tsukishima stared down at his white sneakers in silent guilt. He wanted to walk through those double doors and sit by her side so the first thing she heard when she woke up was an apology. Remembering the smile she gave him before she passed out made his heart sink further into his stomach.

You were supposed to scold me... I don't understand why you try to spare everyone's feelings.

"I think it's best if we head back to the school now and pack up before we go home" Daichi's voice still held his captain tone as he spoke but it was more dispirited and tired, he rose from his chair and soon Michimiya stood up and nodded her head as she wiped at her eyes "He's right, we should go and get some rest, we can get a group together and come back here tomorrow"

Everyone one nodded as one by one they all rose from their seats and headed out of the waiting room "Let's get going okay?" Yamaguchi gave him a supportive smile as he put his hand on his back "Yeah..." Tsukishima finally agreed as he stood out of his seat.

The sky turned into a vibrant orange as the sun began to set. He wasn't much of a sunset kind of person but something about looking out the window made him sentimental; [Y-n] probably would have noticed it saying something like 'It's brighter than Hinata's hair!'

A slight smirk tugged at his lip and he shook his head from the imagination. Everyone headed out of the Hospital to the school to pack everything back up "See you later Tsukki" Yamaguchi waved to his friend before they parted down the road.

"See you" Tsukishima muttered as he walked down his fork in the road. The sky was dreary now, and the streets were only dimly lit by the street lamps; usually [Y-n] would usually accompany him until they parted.

Albeit they'd pick on each other the entire way there but it was a little less lonely for the both of them, Tsukishima stopped on the side of the road before he rubbed his eyes from under his glasses "Why did you trick all of us? You had to know what was going on..." he still couldn't understand Was it to keep playing Volleyball? To spare our feelings? Was it denial on your end?

[Y-n] what were you even thinking?

---

"Tsukishima!"

The blonde jumped in his seat as he snapped out of his trance, he faced back towards the front as the teacher pushed up glasses up his face.

"Ah Y-Yes?" he straightened his back nervously Crap!