Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"Let me get this straight..." Isaac asked, legs sprawled over the edge of the couch as he stared at me. "Harry is one of the owners of Everett and he wants to interview me?"

I nodded enthusiastically. "I told him all about you and he's psyched. I told him how great of an employee you'd make." Not entirely a lie. Harry had been psyched when he thought it was me interested, but I still raved about Isaac.

My friend blew a puff of air out through his cheeks and then jumped up from the couch, bounding over to me. He lifted me off of the ground in one movement and spun me around. "You're incredible, you know that? This is crazy, this is a dream. I love you, May. This can't be real!" He held me at arm's length, grinning. I grinned back at him.

"I'm serious, yeah. I don't know all of the details yet about when and where he wants to meet you, but I'll give you his information so that you can reach out to him."

Isaac pulled me in again for a hug. I wrapped my arms around him, closing my eyes and listening to the constant rhythm of his heart hammering in his chest with excitement. This was the kind of thing that I lived for.

"We're celebrating, we have to celebrate," he said breathlessly as we pulled apart. I laughed, gripping his arms.

"You don't even have the job yet," I said, trying not to crush his spirits. In the back of my head, Harry's stubborn nature loomed as a reminder that he may have only agreed to see Isaac because of how worked up we had been. I didn't have to the heart to tell my friend this and hope that he could just prove himself how much of an asset he would be for Everett. "Don't you wanna wait?"

"Don't care," Isaac said gleefully. "Even an interview is a feat, let's dance."

I smiled as I threw myself onto the couch. My eyes were on Isaac as he pulled a speaker from my room and connected it to his phone, music suddenly flooding through the small living room. He grabbed my arms and pulled me up, spinning me around in the process. I yelped and he grabbed my waist to steady me.

Isaac had been here when I had come home. He was in my room going through my records when I walked in, apparently upset that I had skipped class and not invited him out to wherever I was going. Sometimes I regretted giving the bastard a key to the apartment, this being one of those days. I didn't even get the chance to fully process what had gone with Harry before having to deal with him.

Much to my surprise, it actually felt better to tell Isaac what had happened though and to be honest with one of my friends about it. I went through everything with him, from Harry and our coffee shop outing, to the company, the tour. His eyes widened when I had mentioned the company name. It turned out that Everett was pretty well known in the Engineering community, something that I should've known had I even bothered to do a little research.

My narration of the day included almost everything. Everything except the part where Harry freaked out about me only being there on Isaac's behalf, having to come to an ultimatum in order to get him an interview, and then promptly making out in his car. He didn't have to know every single detail.

I still made Isaac swear not to tell anything about Harry to Amelia or Heather. I hoped to wipe my hands of this whole situation once the interview with Isaac was done. I wouldn't be seeing him again whether or not Isaac got the job anyway. There was no reason for me to be heading to the place Isaac worked anytime soon, considering I didn't do it presently.

It was probably for the best.

"Well, what is going on here?" asked a voice, ripping me from my train of thought. I turned away from Isaac to see Amelia and Heather walking into the apartment behind us. Amelia was smiling at the two of us dancing, Heather was scowling. Nothing out of the usual.