Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"You need to leave. Now." I muttered to Harry, lightly grabbing him by his arm and veering him in the direction of his car.

"May–"

"Now, Harry."

Harry looked at me for a split second and then just shut his mouth, giving me a short nod. I released him and made my way over to Amelia as fast as my legs could take me. She was staring between the two of us, her jaw slack. I swallowed, giving her a pinched smile as I approached.

"Hi, Ames. How was class? What did you have today? Let's go inside. It's pretty cold out." The words came out rushed and I placed my hand on her lower back, giving her a slight push towards the front doors.

I heard the sound of a car driving off behind us, but I didn't look back. I was thankful that Harry hadn't put up a fight this time when I had told him to leave.

"Em. What the hell? Who was that?"

This could go one of two ways... I could tell her that it never happened, that she was imagining things, and never speak to Harry again. Or I could be honest, hope that she forgets about it, and never speak to Harry again.

Both of the options seemed to hold one common theme that I wasn't sure I was entirely on board with.

"I – um, can we go inside? Can we chat in the apartment?" I pleaded, hugging at the sides of my arms. Amelia had shrugged out of my touch and was rooted in place on the sidewalk, her hands on her hips.

My lips still felt swollen and my tongue very much out of place behind my teeth. All I needed right now was a large mug of something hot to burn out the sour taste that had been left in the absence of Harry's mouth on mine.

"No, May! I'm your best friend and just watched some guy shove his tongue down your throat right outside of our apartment. In broad daylight. Not even at a club. You're telling me what's going on right now." She took a deep breath and lowered her eyes at me. "You aren't weaseling your way out of this one."

I threw my arms up and rolled my eyes. "Ugh, no one. It was no one, Amelia. There's nothing to tell."

And it was true. How could I explain to Amelia what Harry was to me when I could even barely come to terms with it myself? Words came hard enough for me on their own, it was an entire other type of torture being put on the spot and forced to talk.

"You're lying," she snapped and stamped her foot on the ground. The curls around her shoulders bobbed.

"I'm not lying," I said, my jaw clenched. It had started to drizzle out and I glanced up, grateful that we were both standing underneath the overhang. "It's really nothing. Just some guy I met–"

"Oh my God! The guy from the presentation. That's who it is! I knew I recognized those tattoos," She was pointing her finger at me as she spoke. "May! What the hell!"

"You already said that," I grumbled and stepped a few feet to the side until my back was rested against the wall. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes.

"Yeah, because I'm fuckin' confused about whatever I just witnessed and am doubly confused why my best friend–sorry, who I thought was my best friend, decided not to tell me about it?" She hissed.

"Because there is literally nothing to say. I just told you that, Amelia. For Christ's sake. You literally have a new guy every fucking day, you're the one who I would expect to understand when I tell you he doesn't matter," As soon as the words left my mouth, I winced. Almost immediately, Amelia's face fell, and I wished that I could take everything I had said right back. "Wait, Ames–" I reached out to grab a hold of her upper arm, but she yanked it out of my grip.