Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Harry leaving shouldn't have surprised me. Not when I had told him last night that there were things I had to think over in regard to the two of us, but that didn't mean a small part of me didn't feel a little empty when I woke up and stretched my arm out beside me to find the other side of the bed cold and deserted.

Grabbing my phone from my nightstand, I frowned slightly when I opened it to find that I had no missed notifications – my frown only deepening when I realized that it was almost nearly 11 a.m. I'd already missed two classes this morning.

I sat up with a bit of extra effort, wincing slightly when I stepped out of bed and found myself having to slow my pace on the way to the bathroom due to the slight bit of soreness between my legs. I didn't at all regret having sex with Harry, but it had definitely been a while since I last slept with someone and, while my mind was overjoyed, my body was still getting adjusted.

Both the hallway and the living room were void of any people when I stepped out, the only shoes remaining by the entryway being mine, leading me to believe that none of my roommates nor Isaac had returned at all last night. Not that I had expected them to.

After brushing my teeth and having a quick shower, I came to the conclusion that I needed another day to recuperate from the events of the weekend and yesterday, meaning that I would also not be attending the rest of my classes today. So long as Harry or Isaac didn't find out, I figured that I would be in the clear.

With a yawn, I made my way to the kitchen, not even bothering to put on any clothes besides a robe. It was as I opened the fridge that something caught my eye and I paused, turning toward the counter. On it was a piece of paper and a pen that lay strewn a bit away.

I furrowed my brows and reached for it, feeling my heart swell slightly at the handwriting.

Mayflower,

Thank you for last night.
I had some shit to deal with at work this morning and didn't want to wake you.
As hard as it was to leave you here, I know you said that you needed today to think.
So please, think...

Think of broken noses.
Think of disrupted University presentations.
Think of crashed interviews.
Think of work dinners.
Think of laser tag.
Think of dancing at a wedding.
Think of painted nails.
Think of the stars.
Think of the sun.
Think of the moon.
Think of me.
Think of us.

Call me when you're ready.
Harry x

I read the note over 6 times. With a deep breath, I ran a hand over my face and suddenly didn't feel hungry in the least.

Think of us.

What was I thinking about? What was I trying to decide? I wasn't even sure. I didn't even know what was going on in my own head half the time. Harry had just started to be able to help me figure it out, but I knew that this was something that I needed to do on my own, no matter how hard.

I set the note back down on the table and deserted my breakfast mission to head over to my room, grabbing my phone from where I had left it on the bed. As I unlocked it and pressed on the call button, I found my thumb hovering briefly over Harry's name before quickly jumping down to another.

"Pick up," I breathed, bouncing my leg and biting my nail, now currently unable to think straight after having read the note.

It took a few rings, but finally a voice sounded from the receiver. "Hello?"

"Isaac," I muttered. "Hi. Still up for coffee today?"

--

It was an hour later that I found myself standing outside of a bookstore, two coffees in hand, tapping my foot on the pavement as I waited for my friend to arrive. The downtown core seemed especially busy today, despite the fact that it was only around noon on a Tuesday.