Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Harry dropped me off at my apartment after breakfast, promising to call me later and figure out a time when we could talk more after Gemma and Bella were gone.

I wished that I could have told him that I didn't mind that they were there and that I would go back to his place with him anyway, something that I knew he wanted, but I wasn't in the right headspace for it. I didn't feel like getting into another catfight today.

"Bye, Mayflower," he breathed into my mouth. My back was pressed up against the side of the car, his hands on either side of my waist. I smiled at his words, gratefully returning the kiss.

"Bye," I murmured. "I won't run away this time."

He laughed as he let me go, walking over to the driver's side and stepping inside. I turned away and headed toward the apartment, not wanting to wait and watch him go knowing that I probably would have ended up jumping back in the car.

What a weird fucking morning.

My thoughts were jumbled as I mounted the steps, wondering how different this day would have played out if I had gotten on a bus before Harry arrived. I had known that I hadn't really wanted to leave, but would I have clued into that before it was too late?

I refused to allow myself to think about Harry or Bella or Gemma or any of my other worries as I unlocked the front door, focusing solely on my next plan: a nap. This morning's events, which I hadn't yet determined to be either inherently good or bad, had drained me. I just needed a rest.

"There she is," a voice grumbled as I walked through the door and my heart immediately plummeted as I looked up.

Isaac, Amelia and Heather had all jumped up from the couch and were standing across from me, their expressions heated. I took a deep breath and kicked my shoes off, dumping my duffel bag at my feet.

"What's going on?" I asked, my voice flat and tired. Neither of them seemed to notice.

"Do you want to tell us where you've been?" Heather's voice was shrill as she addressed me, and I had to hold back a cringe.

"Um, not particularly," I tried to step around them, only for Amelia to block my path and put her hands on my shoulders. I glanced down at them.

"Em," she mumbled, "Are you okay?"

"Am I okay?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at her. "Obviously I'm okay. Now can you let me go? I just really want to take a nap."

Amelia shared a concerned look back and forth with Isaac, causing me to shift on my heels. He cleared his throat before speaking up.

"I told them," he said. "About Harry."

"Ugh," I groaned and squeezed my eyes shut, breaking free from Amelia's grip. "Why did you do that, Isaac?"

"Who is he?" Heather interrupted.

"No one. Nothing," I hissed, shaking my head. "It isn't a big deal."

"It obviously is if he's keeping you out and making you look this wrecked," Amelia's voice sounded hurt and I knew it was because I had already talked to her once about Harry and promised to keep her updated if anything changed.

And I had kept my promise. Really... not much had changed between us.

"Are you dating him?" Heather chided.

My nostrils flared as I glanced over at her. "No. I am not dating him. We're friends."

"Friends?" Isaac raised an eyebrow as he spoke, looking annoyed. "Friends don't call me at 5 in the morning freaking out about where you are."