Chapter 40

Chapter 40

***

HARRY'S P.O.V. :

I wasn't sure how long weddings were usually supposed to last. I also wasn't sure if it felt so short because I hadn't been to many or because I had been solely focused elsewhere than the happy couple for the duration of the ceremony.

All I did know was that it felt like no time had passed when Eve and Erik were happily walking back down the aisle, hand and hand, beaming and in holy matrimony.

I allowed the people around me to usher themselves out of the pew while I waited to help May's grandmother stand up and adjust her footing before she waved me off, telling me to catch up with my girlfriend. With a meek smile, I allowed her to think that I had taken her words into consideration before disappearing to the back of the crowd where I could exit the church last.

I knew that next came pictures and mingling. People congratulating the happy couple and wishing them well before disappearing back to their homes or hotels, later materializing at the reception or just hoping that their absence would go unnoticed.

May had told me that she would come find me afterwards and I had promised to wait around as long as she needed so as not to make her any more anxious than she needed to be, but that had been when I had a clear mind and figured that I could watch stress-free from afar.

Now, I found that all I wanted was to be near her as soon as possible as I finally stepped out of the church, grateful for the sunshine that had been left in wake of the rain and sidled myself against a tree well away from the bridal party. There were a few things that I hoped to clear up before anyone got the chance,

The first being the matter of her grandmother.

If I had known that it was her grandmother that I was talking to, I never would have said anything about her being my girlfriend.

I also knew that that would not settle as a valid argument standpoint if I brought it up to May. I could hear her voice now in my head, reprimanding me for lying in the first place, whether I had known that it had been her grandparents or not. These terms scared her for whatever reason and whether I understood it or not, I had to accept it. If she caught wind of what I said before I had the chance to talk to her, I had a feeling that I would be packing my bags without a chance to explain.

With a sigh, I leaned my head against the bark behind me, craning my neck slightly to see if I could catch a glimpse of May through the crowd that still seemed to be swarming the family. I knew that if I could just see her, it would make the worries in my head feel a little less –

"Harry."

The voice from beside me made me jump and I nearly smacked my head against a branch above my head as I turned to greet May's father.

"Hi–" I scrambled to right myself, running a hand over my creased suit and now disheveled hair. "Hello, sir."

Her father was quick to shoo away my extended arm, to which I quickly brought it back to my side with an apologetic shrug.

"I think that we've had enough formalities," he mumbled with a half grin, "Care to walk with me?"

Briefly, I glanced back at the wedding party, still unable to catch a glance of May and now slightly confused. "Are you– I mean... Are the photos done?"

"For the parent's and in-laws," he said with a snort and then in catching my eye added, "Mary – May will still be occupied for a bit, if that's what you're wondering."

I gave him a short nod in response. He took this as an answer to his previous question and pushed off the tree, heading to a small path in the forest a few feet away. Bewildered, and a bit apprehensive, I hurried after him.