Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I was starting to believe that when you weren't mentally well, it had the ability to take a physical toll on your body. It had been just over a week since my phone call with Harry where I had come to the conclusion that it wasn't in either of our best interests to see each other anymore, and I hadn't felt worse in my entire life.

Yes, I was upset about what had happened and how I still wasn't on the best of terms with Amelia, but I was also physically ill in general. Violently, actually, to the point where I had chills throughout my entire body and could barely keep down a plate of food, let alone a glass of water. There hadn't been one full day where my head wasn't hurting or where I felt like I could stand up without passing out.

Isaac had fretted around the apartment during that time in between work and his classes, trying to force me to eat some soup or drink some liquids, but it only did more harm than good. His incessant worrying and constant hovering only made me feel worse. It was also absolute torture when he asked multiple times, slipping it into conversation when he could, for me to clarify yet again that I hadn't had sex with Harry – something that only ended up making my head spin more.

"And you're sure you didn't sleep with him?" The anxiety in his tone made my stomach churn.

"Isaac, no. I've told you over and over."

"Because a lot of these are early signs of pregnancy..."

"I am not pregnant!"

It got to the point where I ended up having to confiscate his key for a while in order to give myself some peace and quiet.

Because I was sure that peace and quiet were what I needed to kick whatever I had come down with.

Other than Isaac's invading presence pissing me off, I was also frustrated that I had to miss so much class. Being bedridden and exhausted for a week straight hadn't exactly allowed me to catch up on any of the stuff that I had missed either, and I knew that I would be scrambling to go over everything once I started to feel a bit better.

It was also hard because two of the classes that I was missing were with Amelia. Her and I had barely spoken since we had it out on the sidewalk last week, and she seemed to be avoiding me at every turn. The worst part was that she knew I was currently too sick to seek her out and that those classes would have been when she was forced to speak with me. Instead, she merely popped her head in every morning before she left to ensure I was still alive (on Isaac's orders) and then would give me a small nod, heading out the door. She never left me with enough time to say anything to her, not that I really even had the energy to.

Still, not talking to her was almost as draining as the sickness. I hated fighting with any of my friends, but Amelia and Isaac were the ones that I dreaded it with the most. They were the only constants in my life and when one or both of those constants were removed, a lot of things in my life started to seem very unclear. I just knew that as soon as I was better, I would make right of things – whether she wanted me to or not.

The only good thing that had come out of being stuck inside and to myself for the week was that I had gotten a chance to talk to my sister. Like, really talk to her. I had told her about Isaac and his new job, along with the news that he was unfortunately not going to be able to make the wedding. I kept everything about Harry a secret. There really wasn't anything to tell, so I figured I shouldn't say anything.

Still, there was a small sense of guilt that lingered with me at keeping it from her. I couldn't really tell why.

She was bummed, obviously, but much like myself – also very much proud of what Isaac was accomplishing. She told me that she understood, and I had said to her that he was going to call, but I wanted to break the news first. We had both laughed when she said that it was typical, me being the bearer of bad news and Isaac swooping in last minute for comedic relief. I figured that he would make a joke about it when she called him after getting off the phone with me.