Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Harry was surprisingly docile for the rest of the morning and into the early afternoon, but I could tell that he was holding his tongue to keep from instigating an inevitable fight that would string from him begging once more not to go to the dinner.

If I was being honest, I wasn't entirely doing this to punish him. I genuinely did want him to get to know Friday and Casey, considering he seemed to be at odds with most of the other people in my life right now. It would probably be the best thing to come out of this past week if I could coddle and praise him enough into at least getting along with them.

After all, he was like one big puppy. Give him enough affection and he's putty in your hands.

More than that though, I needed to get him out somewhere to keep my mind off the party tomorrow and away from my roommates who I knew would spill the beans if they were given one second too long alone with him. The last thing I needed right now was for all of mine and Gemma's planning to crash at burn right as we were nearing the finale.

There had been no word on Bella's contributions to any of this, especially since Gemma found out that she had been over at Harry's place the night I was mugged, but I also didn't find myself wanting to ask. The less I knew the better and if I could just get through one night of seeing her, keeping in mind that it was for Harry's birthday and that they were still good friends, I figured it would be better in the long run.

I wasn't about to go and make any enemies with the people in Harry's life the first couple of weeks into our relationship.

At least he seemed to be making an effort for today though, something that made my heart swell. He had left shortly after his shower to go grab some clothes from his condo, rolling his eyes when I told him that apparently, the place Friday made reservations for was a touch fancy, but promising to dress accordingly.

I had been nervous and even asked to come with him so that I had a bit of a say in choosing what he ultimately ended up wearing, but that idea was shot down pretty quickly. He told me that if he took me back to his condo, there was no guaranteeing that he was going to let me back out until at least tomorrow, considering he didn't know how well he would be able to restrain himself once it was just the two of us and because we had been so nicely interrupted this morning, he had a lot to make up on.

Where I would have once scolded him (the thought of having compared him to a dog before came to mind), I only held my tongue and silently resolved that he was doing me a favour in coming so I wouldn't say anything else to piss him off. I would be lying though if I hadn't almost immediately just considered standing Friday and Casey up to do exactly what he was trying to hold back from.

"Are you nervous?" I asked, glancing at Harry who now stood with his hands in his pockets and was leaning against the doorway, having returned to my place a half-hour ago.

He hadn't taken his eyes off me since I had started to get ready, muttering every few minutes how beautiful I was and how lucky he was that I was his, causing me to blush enough that I threatened to tape his mouth shut.

He'd only laughed, saying he'd like to see me try.

"No." he lied. "I'm just hoping we have stuff to talk about."

"You will. After all, you work in the same industry." I said with a small smile, walking over and taking his head between my hands. He leaned into my palm with a small hum as I stood on my toes to give him a kiss. "Thank you for doing this."

He didn't respond but kept his eyes on me as I made my way across the room.

"Why are you bringing a book?" he asked.