Chapter 3: Nightmares.

It was a normal day in Midtown High as I walked with MJ to our lockers, engaging in simple conversation. However, the chants of "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!" echoed through the halls of the school. If anyone was to be involved in a fight at Midtown, it was Flash Thompson. And who was always getting into fights with Flash? Peter Parker. I shared a look with MJ before running down the hallway, pushing through the crowd  that circulated Flash and his victim. It was Peter. Flash had him pinned up against a locker, for what reason this time, I didn't know. I could see the anger starting to build up in Peter's eyes as Flash threw him across the freshly polished floor. 

But Flash wasn't going to stop there. He went straight for Peter again as he pushed himself off the floor. Once Peter was on his feet he went for Flash, pushing him back into the lockers. This pissed him off. Big time. He was going for Peter, fist raised as he walked angrily towards the Parker boy. It was a disaster waiting to happen, so I did what I had to. It happened in slow motion. I dropped the books I held, creating a thud as they met the floor. Without hesitation, my body started moving forward, planting me in between Flash and Peter. Reality sank in when I felt the impact of Flash's fist hit my cheekbone. The force caused me to stumble down, my hand cupping where he had hit me. Flash's face said it all, he was surprised. As for Peter, he had a built up rage and charged for Flash, pinning him up against the lockers. Reversing the roles for once, Flash being the victim. 

"DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH HER!"

To say that Peter's outburst hadn't surprised me would be a lie. God knows what he would have done if I hadn't stopped him. I grabbed his arm, pulling him back off of the bully. 

"Pete, he isn't worth it."

He looked back at me, his eyes softening upon the appearance of my face. The rage slowly disappeared as I took him by the hand, leading him out of the crowd  and away from Flash Thompson.

_______________________________________

"WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR EYE?!" 

I sighed at Harry's overreaction when I walked through the front door.

"It's nothing, Harry. Just leave it." 

I threw my bag beside the back of the couch and went to the connected kitchen, fetching a drink from the fridge. I  closed the fridge door and got a fright as it was replaced by Harry's face. He gave me 'the look'. A look that I got all too often when I knew he was concerned and wanted to know what had happened. I sighed and turned away from him, going to sit at the island in the middle of the kitchen.

"That-"

He pointed at my eye.

"Doesn't look like 'nothing'."

Harry was right, it was something, but not a something that was big enough to cause all this hassle.

"It was just a fight in school, Harry. The usual." 

"Who hit you?"

I tore my gaze from my drink to meet Harry's intense stare.

"Flash was picking on Pete and he was gonna hit him so I thought if I stood in between them he wouldn't strike......"

There was a pause.

"Obviously he did."

Again, another pause. It was clear that Harry was in deep thought.

"And Pete did nothing?"

I sent Harry a glare, knowing well that Peter would do anything to keep me safe. Something about being friends with Harry's sister meant having to promise him to 'watch out' for me.