Chapter 15 - Doppelgänger's Death

May 16, 3031 - Country C, City F

On the way back to City F in the cab, Aria called up the systems in her mind.

Aria: S3, S4, S5- are you guys there? I have some questions.

S3: Hello, Aria. We are here. What do you want to know?

Aria: Can you brief me on what type of abilities each of you have?

S3: I am who you referred to as S3. I can copy and identify things. I can help you identify any object or people you want. I can show this view in any way you want. Via printout, audio, or data overlay on top of each item you want to be identified.

Aria: Wow... that is quite powerful. Is that why Edward Xiang got so powerful and successful throughout the years?

S3: I don't have any comments on his power or success since my power is only as strong as the host's imagination. But the effective range will increase as the host gets stronger. You can ask to identify anything and in cases where I can't do it, I will tell you. If you encounter a zombie or individual higher powered than you, I won't be able to identify them. Only through continued interactions and discovery would I be able to deduct their skills and add to their identity card.

Aria: Ooh. How do I activate this passive identify skill?

S3: All you have to do is think, "Identify" or you can customize a setting so that I only identify things over a certain level, etc. Of course you can also allow me to passively scan the things around you first like a filter before informing you of anything important.

Aria: Okay. Let's do that. Let's start off with you passively scanning things and allow me to see what you passively scanned for half a second. I don't need to see it all the time but I would like to see what you're interested in scanning to understand this skill better. As for how to display the data, I want to see it as a visual overlay through my point of view. As for anything dangerous or higher level than me, I would like you to add an audio alert. We can adjust the settings as we go along.

S3: Confirmed. I can copy anything at its present state and when you need it, all you have to do is tell me to create a copy of it from your inventory and it will still be in the same state that I copied it. The only thing I cannot copy is anything with a heart beat. Like people or animals.

Aria: Are there any limitations to your copy capabilities?

S3: Yes. I can only copy one item at a time and create a copy of it one at a time. For individual use, this isn't considered a limitation. However, if you want to copy more items instantaneously, you will need to level up so I can upgrade.

At your current level, in order to copy something, you will need to touch the item for at least 5 seconds for me to make a copy for my records. Level 2 will only take 4 seconds, level 3 is 3 seconds, level 4 is 2 seconds. At level 5, I can copy anything without needing to touch it. You just need to look at it for a second for me to be able to copy it.

Aria: Thank you. You are a very powerful system. S4, what about your ability.

S4: I guess I am S4. I can summon things to help the host fight or protect the host.

Aria: Things?

S4: Undead or spirits...

Aria: Ick.

S4: It's not my fault I have this ability. (cries) The previous host died too quickly before they can summon anything. But my summoning abilities are really good and everything is real. Like If I am told to summon a human being, I would be able to create a human body from scratch that breathes and act like a human as long as I know who I am to imitate.