Chapter 46 - Preparing for the Deep Freeze (2)

October, 3031 - Country M

The next day, the Chen family received an email with the list of approved names on them. Of the 12, 8 were approved. The family looked at the list with a complicated feeling in their chest. They were thinking of the missing 4 names. Melanie rubbed Joseph's back comfortingly. The cousin he listed was not approved. And it's not like they can be upset at the result since everyone knew the attitude of the cousin's wife and sister. Bringing them would be a lot more trouble than it's worth. The only thing they can do now is to hope that it will not be as bad as Aries predicted and that everyone survives.

Looking at the 8 names on the list, the Chens executed their plan. The morning of the flight, all the 'winners' were required to check in at a hotel near the airport to sign NDAs. Aria had a list of all the winner's homes and went to each location and stored them before replacing the empty property with a copy of itself, without anything inside. She felt bad that these people would lose everything after they leave Country M so she stored away all their things to feel less guilty. She collected the Chen's parents' location too just in case they left something behind.

Everyone left Country M in a happy mood, feeling lucky to leave for a vacation. After arriving in Country C, City S, they booked into a nice hotel and started to tour the country. Everyone had fun exploring the different cities for the next 7 days. But they were all required to return to City S's hotel on October 18th. The weather got colder quickly.

October, 3031 - Country C

Meanwhile, Aria spent the week after she came back racing through different cities collecting the energy stones. Within 7 days, she marked off 42 locations. Finally heading back after the last location, S3 made her presence known.

S3: Aria, there is a small town ahead that was mentioned in Edward's records. There is a small blacksmith here that is well known during the ZA for making cold weapons and accessories that are special. Rumor has it that when people used his weapons, there were different attributes to the weapons that made fighting zombies easier and more efficient.

Oh? That sounds interesting.

Aria veered left into the town and parked the car. Since S3 doesn't know where the person was, Aria had to slow down to hunt for that person. The town was small and dusty. A worn up town in an out of way location. It's hard to live here.

Not wanting to waste more time, Aria asked someone inside the store for the blacksmith's location and was directed to the back of the barn.

After turning the corner, she saw 2 figures sitting on a bench. They were both dirty and thin. One was a 40 year-old man and the other was a 18 year-old young man.

Young male: "Dad, should I go and borrow some money -"

Older male: "No. We still have some money and food left. We have a cup of rice left which should last for a few days. I'll go buy us some CFP later after the cobbler pays me for the metal detailing job I did for him."

Young male: "It's been 4 days and he hasn't paid you back yet. What did I tell you about taking on 'jobs' for people who are notorious for not paying on time?"

Older male: "Okay, okay. Maybe I'll head to the city next week to see if there are any jobs. Then I'll send for you to join me?"

Young male: "Haha, you always say that. Anyway, we can go together. I'm old enough now to help out."

Aria raised her eyebrows at the heartwarming and wholesome words between father and son. Looking around to make sure she didn't step into a cliche shooting scene, Aria coughed to catch their attention.

Aria: "Hello, I can't help but hear that you're looking for a job. I happen to be looking for a blacksmith for my food plantation. If you're interested, do you mind showing me some of your work?"