Chapter 1

Limbs tear through my fur as I sprint through the woods outside of our territory. It has been days since I let my wolf out, and she yips excitedly as we run. After running for miles, I slow down to approach a small stream, drinking deeply for a few moments, before I get a strange sensation. My white hair stands on end as i search my surroundings, when I suddenly lock eyes with a man lying under a nearby tree. He appears to be in his twenties, with thick black hair hanging loose around his face, framing the brightest green eyes i have ever seen. We stare into each others eyes for several minutes before my wolf comes to her senses, and gives a light growl before sprinting away, toward home. Once I approach the edge of the woods I shift back to my human form, grabbing my clothes that I had left nearby before walking into the clearing toward my house.
"Hey, sexy!" I roll my eyes at the familiar voice of one of my best friends, Joseph, as he approaches, throwing an arm across my shoulders. "Joseph, I told you not to call me that." I glare, my eyes flickering between crystal blue and the golden eyes of my wolf. He lowers his head in submission, but keeps his arm around me. I lead a pack of rogue wolves called the Maverick Pack. We aren't bad people, just wolves that lost family or needed a new start. We're all family here, and ever since my parents died several years ago and I started the pack , I have been the unofficial leader, though I refuse to be called Alpha.
"Come on, Meridian, when are you gonna give me a chance and go on that date with me? You know I'd never hurt you." I sigh, shrugging his arm off my shoulder as we reach my house.
"I appreciate it, Jo, but you know that if we were mates we would have known by now." I smile sympathetically as Joseph hangs his head sadly. "Besides, you know I couldn't handle all of that," I tease, as i dramatically eye him up and down, making him laugh. "I'll see you tomorrow for the party okay?" I hug him quickly and go inside. Trying to shake off that awkward conversation I grab something quick to eat then shower, before crawling under the blankets. After tossing and turning for hours, those piercing green eyes from the man in the woods are the last thing I think of before I fall deep asleep.