Chapter 28

Meridian POV

For the first time in several days, I wake warm and comfortable, though my body has an unmistakable ache.
Sitting up slowly, I realize I'm back in my room, but the bed is empty beside me. Hearing the shower running,  I gently slide from the bed, guarding my sore abdomen, and make my way to the bathroom. Pushing open the door quietly, I find Malachi, arms braced against the shower wall and head hanging low.
He glances up when I shut the door, smiling gently at me.

"You should be resting, love," he says, but ignore him, wincing as I slide his large shirt off my body, and climb into the shower.

"Im so sorry, baby. This is all my fault. If I hadn't came here, you wouldn't have an Alpha, and none of this would have happened."

"Don't, 'Chi, I don't want you to blame yourself for any of this. Scott hated me, and I allowed the twins into our pack, so this all stemmed from me and my poor leadership."

He sighs and pulls me softly against his chest.
"Will you tell me what happened to you?"

I knew this was coming, but it didn't make it any easier. Taking a deep breath, I nodded, and we quickly finished washing up. Once curled back in bed, I started from the moment I was taken, not sparing a single detail. By the end, Malachi has tears in his eyes, but looks ready to snap.

"That son of a bitch. I wondered what made your wolf snap like that, but now I wish I would have let you continue shredding him to pieces. I'm never letting you out of my sight again." He kisses me and then pulls me so that my back is pressed against his front, slinging an arm over me, and I fall deep into sleep.

His cold fingers skim across my hips, gripping tightly, before sliding around to the front, dropping between my legs-

Shooting up in bed, I gasp, rubbing a hand over my face.
"Baby, what's wrong," Malachi asks, voice thick from sleep.

"Just a nightmare. I'm hungry, want me to cook you something too?"
He sits up slipping in sweatpants, and then hands me one of his shirts.
"You're not going anywhere without me, Meri. Come sit at the table and I'll make something."
Laughing, I take his hand and we head downstairs. I end up having to help Malachi after all because honestly, he's an awful cook, and as we sit at the table I hear footsteps approaching.
Paranoid, I spin to look at the door, seeing Isaah and Samara standing in the doorway.

"Couldn't sleep either?" Malachi asks, earning a nod from Isaah.
"Oh admit it, you just smelled food," I tease, smirking at Isaah.
He immediately rushes toward me, hugging tightly until I tense at the pressure on my bruises.
"Alright hon, you're going to break her," Samara jokes, chuckling as he releases me with a guilty smirk.
"Sorry sis, I'm just so glad to see you."

"Me too, bro. Now let's dig in, I'm starving!" We all fall into conversation like nothing has changed, when deep down, we know nothing will ever be the same.