Chapter 18

Malachi POV
Sorrow tears through me and I'm unable to keep Titan contained. I shift and let out a whimper as Meridian reads the message.
The next second I find myself sprinting through the woods, shutting out Ivory's panicked voice through the mind link. I run until my body can't go any further, before collapsing near a stream. I can't help the rush of guilt I feel. If I had just stayed in the woods and not came looking for Meri, I wouldn't have met Jacob, and he would still be alive. I don't know how long I lie there before finally deciding to head back home. I open my mind link back up, calling out to Ivory or Meridian, and getting no answer. I shouldn't have shut her out like I did, but I didn't want her to see me like that, weak and destroyed.
Once I reach the house I shift back to human form, quickly entering. As soon as the door shuts, a furious looking Isaah approaches me. He slams his fist into my face, and I hear a violent crunch come from my nose.
"You son of a bitch! Do you know how much it hurt her when you cut off your mind link? Mates can't handle being separated for very long as it is, and then you just cut her off for hours?" All I can do is hang my head and take it.
"I'm sorry, and I want to fix it."
"Don’t say sorry to me, tell it to Mer." He puts a hand on my shoulder, telling me, "I know you're new to the whole wolf thing, and you don't understand a lot, but communication in a relationship is kinda universal. Just make it right, man." With a final pat on my arm, he walks toward the kitchen.
Taking a deep breath I ascend the stairs, taking quick strides to our room. Gently opening the door I scan the room, finally spotting Meridian bundled up on the bed. Sinking onto the bed, I pull her into my lap, feeling her stiffen, and then melt into my embrace.
"Im so sorry for running away, Meri. I just felt so much pain and guilt over little Jacob,  and I didn't want to burden you with that. I didn't want members of the pack to see their future Alpha being so weak."
Finally,  she raises her head to look into my eyes, and I feel crushing guilt at the sight of her red eyes, which I allow her to feel through our link.
"You aren't weak for caring, Malachi. The pack will respect you more knowing that you have compassion and love for the people you're responsible for. I understand, but please don't shut me out again." I nod, kissing all over her face.
"I promise, baby." She smiles, brushing a tear off my face.
"Now, let's go downstairs and get some dinner, I'm starving."
I give a fake moan, telling Meri, "I love it when you talk dirty. This is why I love you."
She throws her head back laughing as I slip pants on, before grabbing my hand and pulling me to the kitchen.
Samara and Isaah have dinner prepared and we all eat in comfortable silence for a while, before Meridian addresses the table.
"I know it's short notice, but tomorrow is a full moon, so I want to hold the ceremony naming Malachi as Alpha. It doesn't need to be extravagant, just a simple ceremony." I watch as Isaah's eyes widen in surprise before he looks toward me.
"What?" I ask, as Meridian smirks toward me.
"You know what the ceremony entails, don't you?" Isaah asks, and I shake my head.
"Getting named Alpha isn't the only thing that happens. Meridian is also being named Luna of the pack, which means, you're getting married tomorrow, brother."
I feel my mouth gaping, and then can't help my wide smile as I kiss Meri soundly on the lips.
"I can't wait."