Chapter 29

We spend the next few weeks assessing the damage through the town, even though Malachi won't let me lift a finger. Now that the silver has completely left my system, my body has healed almost completely.

Several of our pack members were killed in the previous attack, leaving multiple children orphaned, and I know just the person to take care of them.
Knocking gently, I wait until the door opens to show a disheveled Jessica.
"Oh, hello, Luna. I'm sorry, if I knew you were visiting I would have made myself more presentable."
Waving her off, I offer a small smile.

"Don't worry about that, Jessica. I actually came with a proposition for you." Curious, she steps aside, allowing me to enter.

"As you know, many of the pups in the pack were left alone during the recent attack, as were many others," I place my hand on hers in sympathy. "I was wondering, how would you like to deem your home the unofficial Maverick Pack orphanage, and be a foster mom to all of those children? Of course, we'll all pitch in to help out."

Her eyes widen before filling with tears. "Nothing would make me happier. Thank you for everything, Meridian."
Smiling again, I give her a quick hug before heading towards the door.
"Just let me know when you're ready for us to send them over!"
She nods happily as I step outside.

With the help of all the men, most of the burnt homes were rebuilt, and things seemed to be returning to normal. I smile as members of the pack pass me, smiling and waving, and then I catch sight of Malachi, playing tag with some of the pups.
He pretends to trip, falling and letting them all pounce on top of him.
Laughing, I approach the pile of them, and they all look up at me, eyes smiling.
"Look at all these tough pups! Just make sure you don't let your guard down, or Alpha Malachi might trick you!"
They all share a look, right as Malachi rolls, dumping them all gently on the ground. They all giggle as he tickles them, then Malachi gets a mischievous look on his face.

'Don't even think about it, Malachi Black!"

He whispers conspiratorially with the children before grinning up at me.

"Attack!!"