Chapter 6

I approach Malachi, nuzzling his hand with my snout. A content rumble leaving my chest when he combs his fingers through the hair on my neck.
"You're the wolf I saw in the woods! That's why I was drawn here, my wolf must have sensed you close by!" He gives a shy smile, adding,  "You're more beautiful than I remember." Giving a final nudge to his hand I run into the coat closet in the entryway,  shifting back to normal and slipping some clothes on. When I re-enter the kitchen, Malachi is sitting at the table, appearing deep in thought, until he sees me and smiles.
"Are you hungry?" I ask, giggling at his enthusiastic nodding. I move throughout the kitchen, throwing some butter in a pan to make grilled sandwiches. After a few minutes, I reach up in the cabinets for plates, my shirt rising up, exposing my stomach. When I turn back around,  Malachi’s eyes have darkened, roving across my exposed skin. Smirking I approach, sliding his plate toward him.
"I wouldn't have made you something to eat if I knew I was the snack you wanted," I tease, drawing him from his heated gaze.
"Uh, sorry. One second you think you're human, the next second you're arguing with a wolf inside of you. There's so much I want to know."
Sitting next to Malachi at the table, we eat our sandwiches before I start talking again.
"My parents were killed by rogue wolves several years ago, leaving me alone, with no family. I learned to fend for myself and started finding other orphans and misfits that didn't have a pack of their own. Eventually, it grew into the Maverick pack, and we're all one big family."
"I wish my brother and I could have found you, and maybe he wouldn't be so bitter. I just hope your pack doesn't hate me as much as that guy I chased off earlier." I can't help but laugh at that. "Joseph has been asking me on dates for years, but I keep telling him that if we were mates we would have known by now. He never seemed to take the hint, and he was jealous that I allowed another male near me. Maybe now he'll leave me alone." I watch Malachi’s eyes flicker to black for a moment.
"Mine," he growls. I smile, placing my hand on his.
"Yes, I'm yours, and you're mine."
He blinks, eyes going back to green, and he smirks.
"Can we go back upstairs and watch something else? I fell asleep last time." I nod, taking his hand and leading him to my room. I show him the movies and let him pick something, and he finally decides on "The Notebook" and I can't help but laugh. He raises a brow, smirking,  but I wave him off, giggling.
Halfway into the movie, Malachi chuckles, whispering, "I know why you laughed now, this is a romantic movie." I giggle again, and scoot closer to him, as he curls an arm around me, pulling me to his chest.
"Yep, sorry, I was gonna tell you but I love this movie!" He laughs and kisses the top of my head, making me smile widely, my wolf calling out, "He kissed us! Our mate finally kissed us!" We finish the movie, and I stretch, looking toward Malachi, finding the dark eyes of his wolf.
Quickly closing the distance between us, he presses his lips firmly to mine.