21. Dollar Signs

Last night, I couldn't sleep after the drastic encounter that I had with Nicholas. Thereupon he dropped me at home I stayed up in bed for some time after I took a long hot shower, indulged in thoughts until I ran out of hot water and it started raining snow in my bathroom.

I got out and laid in bed thinking about his life and his family, how is he protecting his family and keeping them away from all danger and giving them all the happiness that they deserve.

If he was a mafia leader isn't his life dangerous all the time?

Since now that I'm involved with him won't my life be in jeopardy too?

But he did promise that he would protect me... He asked me to trust him. But that sounds like telling a parrot to wear a suit. I respect that he opened up and revealed himself to me though I can't blindly trust him. I need more than just his words to ease me so that I know I won't regret trusting him.

All these thoughts had put me in a frenzy until I decided it was best if I slept it off.

'' Your dreaming '' Marcia said in a sing-song as I realized that I was holding on to a wedding dress for a long time and gazing at the material.

'' No I'm not I-I was just checking the feel of the material,'' I told her as I turned around to face her, Marcia wore a smirk and cocky grin.

'' What? Get to work I'm busy today I have a lot to do.'' I told her trying to hide my lies that seeped out from my lips.

I strutted towards my office just as I was about to get inside I heard my name announced. I fastened my neck towards the source of the voice as I looked at a jumpy Suzzy running towards me in an expression of glee.

'' Jade! Jade! Jade! Jade! '' She kept chanting, I wish I would so happy like that on a Wednesday.

'' What? What? What? What?'' I mimicked and saw her gleam at me.

''A client is requesting for you, they are filthy rich too!'' She said looking at me with green dollar signs in her eyes.

''Uh-huh? May I ask why me? Why not Julie or Marcia or Samantha or Anna''. I questioned her

'' you remember flounder? '' She started looking at me with hopes that I'd remember the long lost client. 

'' you mean flounder and gemstones brat? '' I sought as she gasped loudly and snapped her fingers

'' Yes! Yes them! They were so appraised at your help that--''

'' Okay, I got it. They were impressed with me that they recommended me to this couple that here? '' I finished and Suzzy squealed saying

'' YES! ''

God help her lungs and my ears, Suzzy pushed me no wait. She dragged me from my office threshold to the area where the client was seated at.

'' Mrs Castellano. This is Jade, our manager and wedding consultant.'' Suzzy praised and I gave her a side look.

'' Mrs Dinah Castellano, a pleasure to meet you jade.''

The woman who I know as Mrs Dinah Castellano said as she held her hand out for me to shake.

'' The pleasure is all mine, how can I help you today? '' I petitioned and she gave me a friendly smile.

She brought forth a young lady who I'm guessing is around twenty-four years old? judging by her looks and healthy glowing skin.

'' This is my daughter Alexandra, she will be getting married in another two months and I was hoping you'd have something that will suit her tastes,'' Dinah said as I hummed in a slight response.

'' Sure, Hopefully, we will have what she desires,'' I said as giving them a bright smile.

'' Are looking for pearls? Lace? Gems? Patterns? Mix Match of colours? '' I said laying down all the options for young Alexandra to chose from.

'' Um, lace and I don't know much but...'' She sounded so unsure that I genuinely felt sorry for her.

'' Alright, No problem we'll go with laces first. Please follow me. '' I told them as I brought them to the other side of the shop which had all the lace dresses placed in.

'' Are we looking for something Elegant? Fancy? Simple? Bold? ''  I turned around and asked as Alexandra was quick to pick.

'' Elegant and Simple.'' She replied in eagerness.

'' wonderful. Budget? '' I asked and was answered with a big bold.

'' Unlimited... Anything for my Alex,'' Dinah said as she gave her daughter a side hug.

'' Great, I'll be right back with your dresses, please be seated here,'' I said as I quickly ran off to the lace section and started gathering all the dresses that I found would suit Alexandra's skin and figure.

Twenty-Five dresses. Two hours later.

'' This is the best! '' Alexandra gleamed in joy as she walked out of the dressing room.

The pearly white colour gown dressed her beautifully as the top part of the dress was off-shoulder with small details of lace that were stitched to the top part of the fit and the mid-waist hugging her well then dress proceeded to flow down touching the ground. As she walked forward till she was within her mother's reach.

'' Are you sure about this one?'' Dinah asked as Alexandra nodded her head and smiled.

'' You look ravishing '' Dinah said as she removed her Gucci hanky from her dress pocket and wiped her tears that threatened to fall out.

'' Pack this for us jade,'' Dinah said as I happily obliged and as soon as the dress was in my hand, I placed it gently on the cash counter.

'' Isabelle pack this for Mrs Dinah Castellano,'' I said while handing her the budget amount with a discount of the month.

'' Sure Jade. '' Isabelle replied.

Just as I was about to leave my name was called again by Dinah.

'' Yes, Mrs Castellano'' I said as she came closer to me and embraced me in an emotional hug I reciprocated back and held on to her for some time.

'' thank you for everything Jade. '' She said as I gave her a smile

The moment I reached home a sense of calmness washed over me. It felt such a relief to be home and relax. I threw my shoes off and pulled my shirt off as I was left in my black spaghetti and white cotton skirt. The moment I was about to pull my skirt down, my doorbell rang refraining me from doing so.

I sighed in disinterest my inner self conscious was too lazy to open the door. I mean I just came home and I'm not in the mood to meet anyone or in fact converse with anyone. Finally, my rational self won the battle and I opened the door with my light pink blouse loosely hanging from my shoulders.

But instead, I was met with flowers on my doorstep. I bent down and picked up the orchards as there was a small note stuck to them. Judging by the quality and design of the theme I already knew who sent the flowers. A small smile itched on my lips as I read the message that was sent to me.

'' May I have the honour of having lunch tomorrow at Loretta's with you?

I promise I won't bite. ''

--Nicholas