29. Overwhelmed

'' Are you feeling alright? '' Athena asked as she handed me a napkin.

I was seated in her bedroom as she sat next to me on her light pink bed. Once the cool water-soaked down my throat, I slowly breathed through my nose

'' Yes, I guess just overwhelmed,'' I told her and brought the empty glass down to my lap.

She chuckled and took the empty glass from my hands and placed it near her side table.

'' I'm sorry, but we don't have many guests at home. Their most gangsters, contract kill-- Oh my bad-- Businessmen. So we're kind of accustomed to talking more frankly about business at the dinner table.'' She said innocently.

I chuckled and smiled at her, she is a cutie.

'' So do you have any siblings? '' Athena asked and I laughed.

'' Oh my no, I don't. If I did I would be dead by now.'' I said and she smiled.

My laughter died down and so did the awkwardness that was settled in my heart when I arrived here.

'' So do you like my brother? '' She questioned me, I held my head down sheeplishly.

'' I'm not sure, He seems... He seems nice.'' I said looking up at Athena who cocked her head to the side innocently.

Athena had a very different room, Her beautiful white curtains allowed the moonlight to pass through them. Her walls were painted a lovely navy blue and she had lovely Russian carpets.

'' Nice carpets,'' I told her and she hummed

''Marco got them for me.'' She informed me of standing up

Athena walked to her cupboard and pulled out a small silver box. She walked back to the bed and placed the sliver box in her lap, her fingers traced the historic design on the case as I admired it.

'' It was my mother's,'' Athena said holding the box close to her chest.

I noticed how her features changed as she slowly breathed and closed her eyes. She opened the box and pulled out a lovely sliver chain that had a small circle with diamonds as a pendant.

'' My mother had placed this in Nicks's hand a week before she died. She had told him to give this to the woman that he loves. But just after a few weeks of her death, he threw this chain out. Nicholas was always the most difficult brother.'' She said painfully as few sobs left her lips.

'' I fear for him sometimes, I fear for how ruthless he is. I fear for his life. When our parents were alive we had happy days, there were laughter and joy in this house, but after a tragic incident they were killed that stole the peace and delight in this family.'' Athena said looking down at the chain in her hand.

'' But when I look at you, You remind me of her. You remind me so much of my mother. My brother now smiles and jokes with us, its almost as if I've slowly got my old Nicky back and I just-- I just want to tell you that please don't do anything to hurt my brother. Don't ever cheat him, he looks like a strong man but it hurts him the most when the people he loves leave him.'' She said and placed the chain back in the silver box.

'' How did your parents die? '' I asked curiously Athena took a deep breath and signed she got up and walked towards her window.

'' They died in bloodshed three years ago, We were celebrating my graduation when there was an unexpected attack at the house. We were so unfortunate, My brothers and I were fighting to protect my parents- We lost so many that night, But what hurt most was that my dad's friend killed papa and mama.'' She said as tears flowed down her cheeks, the moonlight shining brightly against her tan skin.

I rose from my place and stood in front of her placing my hands around her and embraced her in a comforting hug. There was a peaceful silence that surrounded us as we both held on to each other. I could feel the pain in her heart and tightness in her chest, it must be so difficult for her to go through so much and still stand for her brothers like the strong woman she is.

I pulled back from the hug and placed my palm against her cheek; I wiped away a tear that fell from her eye.

'' You are strong, beautiful and worthy. Your past makes you strong The present makes you mature, future wise and I'm sure you have all the support from your brother's.'' I told her, she sniffed as she placed her hands in mine and chuckled.

'' Yeah, they will get me married when I'm Forty-seven-years old.'' She said we both started laughing.

A knock on the door brought made us stop laughing as it opened, Nicholas walked in he placed his eyes on me and back to his sister who had a happy gleam in her eyes.

'' Ti sei comportato bene Fratello. '' Athena told him as she placed her hand on his shoulder and walked out. ( You did well brother. )

'' I take that the conversation went well? '' He declared, I beamed at him.

'' Your sister cares a lot for you,'' I told him, he looked down at his shoes.

'' I know, she reminds me of my--''

'' Mother.'' I finished for him as his eyes met mine.

Everything nearby us stopped breathing, moving and functioning, the moonlight shining brightly on his face showing me every impurity and flaw. His eyes looked darker in the moonlight as he walked towards me and placed his hand around my waist.

A foreign but familiar emotion surrounded us as Nicholas placed his palm against my cheek, his eyes held a sentiment that I couldn't decipher. I shivered when the wind touched me, but I dare to look anyway from his sight. He had captivated me in the most dangerous way as possible.

'' Nicholas.'' I breathed out as I place my palm against his slightly rough stubble and he closed his eyes reopening them he slowly leaned in and pressed his forehead against mine.

'' Emerald. I'm sorry if you felt attacked during dinner.'' He stated but I shushed him and giggled softly.

'' You have various personalities in your family. It's cute.'' I told him.

Nicholas pulled back and scrunched his eyebrows, looking puzzled and doubtful it was like I had said something cringe-worthy.

'' You think my family is cute? '' He said and I looked at him perplexed.

'' Umm, yeah? '' I told him and he smiled shaking him held.

''Solo se sapessi quanto siamo spietati.'' He said in his foregin tounge and i got irritated.

'' Oh come on not this again! '' I murmured and pulled away from his hold but as I stepped forward I was pulled back into his grasp.

'' sei così Carino '' He said and I tried to make sense of what he said. ( you's so cute )

'' Carino? is that some code word? '' I asked him and he smiled.

'' adoro il modo in cui il tuo naso diventa rosa quando sei arrabbiato '' He said and i got more irritated and i smacked his chest. (I love the way your nose turns pink when you are angry )

'' Let go of me you Italian speaking robot! '' I blurted

'' Mi piace Quando diventi grintoso con me '' He continued to speak in Italian and I kept groaning. ( I love it when you get gritty with me )

'' Ugh! I hate you! '' I told him just when I was about to throw a tantrum at him, Nicholas pulled me in closer and instantly placed his warm lips on mine.