49. Over-confidence

( Jade's POV )

I was pulled out from the water with strong arms around my waist. Once I was placed on the hard surface I felt some sort of pressure on my chest.

The feeling of heaviness filled my stomach and lungs; I jerked up and bent towards my side as I coughed out all the water that filled my lungs and body

My throat was sore as the water kept coming out, the roughness of my throat never made me realize who my saviour was. I was solely concentrated on getting as much water out of my lungs as possible.

once I felt the warmness settle in my throat, I panted a little bit and I tried to inhale and exhale the air into my lungs. The minute my eyes laid on the figure before me shock graced my features.

" Marco?! " I gasped

" come on we don't have much time." He spoke as he helped me stand on my feet.

My legs felt wobbly at first but after some help from Marco, I was able to walk rapidly. We ran across the mansion as I watched the walls of the burnt mansion pass through me.

" there he is!" A man yelled across the hall as I ran along with Marco.

" he's got the girl!" Another one spoke. Bullets started to fly in the air but none of those shots hit us.

" Dopey? " I asked as I breathed heavily.

" who the fuck is dopey?" Marco questioned as we came to a stop.

" stay here don't move. " Marco whispered as he made me hide behind the kitchen table.

for a few minutes, it was just silence and nothing more. It was then that u realised that my hands were no longer cuffed. I watched the irritated skin turn blue as water dripped from my hair soaking into my sopping wet top.

Suddenly I could hear a few footsteps come near me again. I covered my mouth with my hands as I erased any signs of my breathing.

" where are you? " a womanly voice spoke in a sing-song.

" come out baby... Daddy's gonna rip your flesh apart and fed you to my dogs!" at this point I was sure it was Dinah.

I choked in an attempted scream when I heard a few bullets being shot. I closed my eyes as silent tears fell out my eyes.

" I know you in here Athena! " Dinah yelled again loudly.

She's oblivious that I'm alive?

There was so much silence that if you dropped a coin, you could hear it ring in your ears loud enough. There was no doubt that I was shivering in fear.

" Jade let's go" Marco whispered as I snapped my head in his direction.

I held my hand in his as he helped me out of the kitchen. We ran towards the centre of the mansion, just as we were nearing the door a bullet fired in the air. Marco fell to the ground.

" Marco!" I helped as he laid on the floor with blood pooling out from his leg.

I watched as his blood stained the floor and a hardcore expression take over his face. He tried to get up but winced in pain.

" tsk tsk tsk, Marco darling how many times have I told you to never touch my things." Dinah declared as she walked towards us. In fear, I clutched onto the sides of his shirt.

" Just like when you were younger, I tried to keep you away from my souvenir pieces. But you never did listen. You didn't listen then and you still don't listen now." Dinah said sternly. 

" and you; You just don't die! " Dinah exclaimed clearly annoyed at my existence.

" you were the mole all along! We treated you as our own and you killed mama and papa!" Marco growled

" aisshhh Giovanna knew what she was getting herself into; when she married a man I loved! She deserved it!" Dinah shouted

" No, she didn't! She was honest and loving, she wasn't egoistic and prideful like you!" I replied

Dinah cocked her gun and hoisted it directly at me first.

" I hate people who rise from the dead."

" fire that bullet and I will blow your brains," Nicholas spoke from behind.

The moment I saw him a sense of relief flooded through my veins. I just wanted to run into his arms and let his comforting hold embrace me.

" Nicholas?" Dinah gasped looking at behind as she was met with his intense stare.

" you killed my parents, manipulated us all to think that Alejandro was responsible. You made me place a gun on the woman I love and you shot my brother. So now don't ask for mercy." Nicholas declared powerfully.

Dinah's bubbly laugh erupted across the walls of the mansion as she threw her head back and laughed right in front of Nicholas cold frame.

" oh, Nicholas your overconfidence is so funny." She breathed

" do you think I'm a fool. I have my men all around the area, you kill me they will slaughter you alive." Dinah spoke harshly spitting every word with pressure.

" Nah I don't think that's happening. Our men outnumbered yours." Lucien said walking in with blood dripping from the side of his arm as a gash was imprinted on his skin.

" precisely to put in simple words, your dead" Marco butted in as Lucien helped him to his feet.

Nicholas stepped closer to Dinah as she stood rooted in her place. She had her gun still in her hands as she gripped it in a tight hold. Her knuckles turned pale and her body structure firm, it was as if she refused to back down.

" Lucien get jade out from here," Nicholas spoke maintaining eye contact with Dinah.

Lucien neared me as he held my arm and nudged me to walk forward. I took one last glance at Nicholas hoping he would look my way. But his cold eyes stared at the woman in front of him.

" Nicholas," I called out

" leave jade." He replied sternly. He didn't bother to spare a glance at me, I held my head down and looked back up at him. He didn't even care to embrace me.

" just go." He declared looking at me. His hard stare sent chills down my spine. He was no longer my Nicholas, he had turned himself into the scary beast that I had seen before.

Without breaking eye contact I turned away and left as Lucien guided me outside.

I glanced around and realized that we were outside the mansion. Two black cars had pulled up on the driveway as Sebastian and Dopey walked out.

" oh thank God for your okay! " Sebastian exclaimed clinging on to me.

I was so confused as to what was happening I just couldn't believe that this was real.

" where's Athena? " Sebastian asked looking around me for his sister.

" sweeping the dead bodies," Lucien said nonchalantly.

Dopey approached me, he wore a black shirt and his gun was placed into the waistband of his pants. Tucking his phone into his pockets he walked.

" jade... Are you okay?" dopey questioned as a concerned look flashed through his eyes.

I nodded softly, the voice in my throat refused to come out; I shivered as the cool wind brushed against my wet clothes.

" Can... Can I go home now?" I asked looking down at my shoes. I was too afraid to let my tears pool out now.

" please." I breathe softly

As dopey hummed in response, I was grateful for his understanding he leads me towards his car in a peaceful silence

" Sebastian will drop you home." he spoke and I gave him a curt nod.

Without any more, words exchanged I left the scene with Sebastian checking up on my wellbeing in the car.