Chapter 36 - Part II

Olivia North

Dread. That’s the best adjective I can use to describe what I am feeling since I saw the matriarch of Knights family. She was holding Elly’s hand when she came out from the house.

Red. That’s what I saw when my eyes shifted from Mrs. Knights’ side. There I saw Dylan on Rebecca’s arms giggling. I wanted to snatch my son from her and shout at her that she’s no right to carry nor even touch a strand of my son’s hair, but I remained calm because the last thing I want is to create a scene and prove to them that I am really the kind of woman the media reported.

With that, I took a series of deep breathes to calm my raging nerves to appear in front of her and pull her hair. But I haven’t fully calmed my nerves when Niccolo emerged from their behind and greeted both of them. He hugged his Nana but when he was to greet Rebecca, that ugly parrot hugged and kissed him while carrying Dylan, my son.

If you’re just a regular passerby, you would think that they are a family and that was enough for me to stand up from my seat and claim what belongs to me, my family.

While approaching them, I made eye contact with Mrs. Knights and the smile etched on her face was immediately replaced by void but in return, I smiled and waved at her. She murmured something and both Niccolo and Rebecca looked at my way. Nick extended his left arm to welcome me in their so-called group chitchat while the ugly parrot glared at me.

By the time I stood beside Niccolo, he immediately circled his arm on my waist and kissed the side of my head. I smiled at Mrs. Knights and when I shifted my gaze to the ugly parrot, I smiled mockingly at her and leaned in Nick’s arms even more to show her who I am to the man she’s trying to get the attention of.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Knights.” I greeted her and extended my hand towards her for a handshake because I learned from my experience that she won’t accept my hug. She just looked at me from head to toe and scoffed then pulled Rebecca to her so that she’s face-to-face with Niccolo.

Nick was about to open his mouth, but he got interrupted by our son.

“Mommy!” Dylan acknowledged me immediately when he heard my voice. He extended his arms to me telling me that he wanted me to carry him. I carried him immediately and kissed his cheek.

“Nana, Olivia said good afternoon.” Nick told her containing his anger, but Mrs. Knights just shrugged her shoulders and walked away from us with the ugly parrot trailing behind her. The truth is, I actually understand his Nana, she was just trying to protect both of her grandson and great grandson. I mean who wouldn’t right? If she had heard and read every article about me, it’s natural to build walls and be protective of Nick and Dylan.

What irked me was the ugly parrot who keeps following her as if she was hired as her bodyguard or her personal nurse. And I have a very bad feeling about her being close with Mrs. Knights, I just can’t point out what it is.

“Olivia, I’m sorry about that. I’ve already talked to her to be nice with you but---” I placed a finger on his lips to shush him. I smiled at him and spoke, “Shh. I am fine, Niccolo. You don’t have to worry about me all the time. Let’s just enjoy the party. Right, my favorite prince?” the last question I directed to Dylan to which he nodded excitedly.

“What have you been doing? The party hasn’t started yet and here you are covered in sweat. Look at your face, my love, it was so red.” I said calmly and the little devil just smiled at me and placed his face on the crook of my neck.

I looked at his father, “Don’t get fooled by that act. He’s acting cute so you won’t reprimand him.” I smiled at Nick when he said that and kissed the crown of Dylan’s head.