1. The Secret

I started writing this in July 2020. So it's been about eighteen months since this book has been on Wattpad. I've thought about deleting this book many times because of certain comments. Please don't comment 'cringe', 'embarrassing', stuff like that. It makes me self conscious about my writing. I'm not deleting this book just because it was my first work. That's the only reason. I started here, so don't come and criticize stuff just because it's not as good as you want it to be. Try to keep it positive.

Enjoy reading.
[Edited: Jan 14, 2022.]

------------
.

~~Please give feedback. Your opinion really matters~~
Thank you.😊

Evelina's POV

Here I am laying on my bed, thinking about why do mornings even exist?!!

"Evvie, Are you up?" My mom asked from the kitchen.

"Yeah!! I'm up." I sighed and got up from my bed. I literally crawled to the bathroom, had a nice warm bath, brushed my teeth and stared at the girl standing before me.

'Woah!! She's beautiful.' I thought. 'Too gorgeous to exist.' She has dark brown hair with green eyes. Did I mention I was looking in a mirror?

I walked to the balcony. I stood there for a minute when I saw a garbage truck pull up.

"Good morning, Mr. Halls!!" I chirped. Mr.halls who is in his mid Thirties, is a very kind man.

"Good morning sweetie." Mr. Halls said. "But don't you think its too late for a 'good morning'." He said looking at his watch.

"Oh come on, Mr. Halls! The morning starts when I wake up." I said coolly. Mr. Halls chuckled and waved me goodbye and I went downstairs.

My mom is a middle aged woman with dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. I'd be lying if i said she is not beautiful for her age.

"Hey mom." I said.
"Hey sweetheart." Mom said. " I was thinking we spend some mother-daughter time today."

"Yeah!!! Okay, let me have breakfast and I'll go get ready." I said overexcited. Mom chuckled and then left.

That's what we did today. We went shopping, we watched movies, then we ordered pizza in the evening.

Suddenly, Mom paused the movie and turned to me. I stopped stuffing my mouth with popcorn and looked at Mom.

"What happened , Mom?" I said, but it came out muffled due to the popcorn.

Mom cleared her throat, and said "I want to tell you something. Please don't freak out ,please don't be angry!" I nodded and Mom continued.

She took a deep breath before saying, "You wanted to know about your dad right?" I nodded. She continued. "I am going to tell you about him and my past ,ok?" She said.

"So, your Father is Stephan Romano. He is a businessman. We fell in love, married and had kids."

"What do you mean 'had kids'? Mom you aren't drunk, are you? You are hallucinating. You are seeing people. Its just me here." I asked, to which she just chuckled.

"No sweetie, just listen with patience.
Your father's family runs a business. That business is huge so the family is rich. But the only problem was we couldn't have a babygirl. So, your father was stressed out. I didn't really like his business and I talked to him about it too but it was of no use. And then we had you. I didn't want my daughter to be in the influence of bad things. So I asked the nurse to take you away before my family knew about it. I had it all arranged before. The next day I packed my important stuff and ran away from your father's house. I met the nurse, got you and started a new life here."

I was dumbfounded "But why are you telling me this, now ? I've been asking since when? My seventh birthday?" I asked.

Mom sighed, "Because I am suffering from cancer. I just found out some days ago. And they say its not good. I will need to stay in the hospital for diagnosis and therapy. They said the chances of me surviving are less." Mom said never making eye Contact.

'Woah! This is my mom , blunt and straightforward but also honest and kind.'

I stared at the wall the whole time. I was shocked. I opened and closed my mouth. I felt anger surge inside me. 'What bad things did he do?' I thought. I was about to burst but when I looked at mom, she was crying.

"Oh no no, beautiful! Why are you crying ,huh?!!" I said in a heavy voice. Mom smiled.

I got up, plugged the speakers and played romantic songs. I went to where mom was sitting bowed, then got one knee. "Can I have a dance with you, beautiful?" I asked, offering my hand to her.

Mom chuckled "Of course, who would say no to this handsome teenager?" Mom laughed, took my hand and we started dancing to the music.

After some time, we were tired. I had my arm around my Mom's waist and she had her hand on my one shoulder and put her head on the other. We were swaying gently to the music.

"Honey, are you mad at me?" Mom asked. Tears formed in my eyes. But I held them back. I need to stay strong for my mom.

"No mom, I know its hard for you. I just can't imagine you leaving me." I said.

"I know, honey. I don't want to leave you either. It makes me feel sad, I would leave without seeing my children and husband." Mom said.

"Don't worry , Mom. I'll always stay by your side." I said. "I'll go to sleep now, goodnight Mom." I hugged Mom, kissed her forehead and ran to my room.

Tears started falling as soon as I reached my room. I lay on my bed, thinking about all the things mom said.

'We fell in love, married and had kids'

Stephan Romano. Romano. Why does it sound familiar. Then it struck. Maybe I heard it from my friends. I remembered Max saying something about hotels and restaurants of the Romano family.

-----------------------

Next day, my mom and I went to the hospital. The doctors said she'll have to stay there.

I was sitting beside mom's bed, holding her hand in mine.

"Mom?" I said. "Does my father own hotels and restaurants?" Mom nodded.

"Where does he work?" I asked.
Mom frowned then said. "He used to work in his main office building in the middle of the city. But why are you asking?"
I nodded.
"I have something to do. But I need your help."

Mom frowned. "Evelina, I don't want you doing anything stupid." Mom told me sternly.

"No, Mom. You're getting me wrong. Just listen to it first. You just need to write a letter about what you want to say to your husband and children. I'll go and hand it over to the receptionist and come back."

"Just think this could be your last chance to say something to your family." I said.

"Evvie, I don't think it's a good idea."