13. Lie

Everyone went silent. All of them stood up at once and started greeting the man.

He is their Grandpa, which means he is my Grandpa.

'Wow.'

Dad stood behind him, nervous. Even Elonzo was nervous and I could see he too feared him.

Then, his eyes landed on me.

His stare was cold. A shiver ran through my spine.

"You, girl, follow me outside." I stood up and followed him. I was not afraid, just nervous.

Dad gave me an apologetic smile, while mine was reassuring.

We went to the backyard and sat on the recliners outside. The sun was setting.

"Your dad told me about everything." He said, his voice cold.

"I hate that witch for taking you away." He said. "I had one granddaughter and I couldn't see her grow up. I swear if that wit-" before he could finish I cut him off.

I looked at him straight in the eye. My gaze cold and my face expressionless.

"Do not use those bad words for my mother. I won't hear anything about my family." I growled.

I was shocked when he just smiled at my outburst.

"You've got quite the anger, just like your father and me. I'm sorry, princess. I understand the whole situation and why she did it." He said.

I looked at him confused.

"I just wanted to see if you stand for your family. Because family comes first. If you can fight with your grandpa for disrespecting your family, I believe you can fight the whole world." He said.

He gave me a warm smile.
"I am glad we have you now. You deserve everything. The family has just met you. But I can already tell, they are ready to even die for your happiness and safety."

He leaned in to whisper.
"If any boy gives you a hard time, whether it be my sons or grandsons, tell me. I will handle them." He said with a chuckle.

Everything he said, melted my heart.
"Sorry for how I spoke before" I said to which he just nodded.

"Grandpa?" I started. His eyes lit up hearing the word.

"We cool now, right? So, you'll be my 'grandpa-dude', makes you look young." He chuckled.

'Haha! That's dumb.' The voice said.

'I love being dumb.'

I raised my fist before him. He looked at it, confused. "Fist bump?"

When he still didn't get it, I had to take his hand and fist bumped him.

"Oh..." Was all he said.

"This means, we are friends now, okay." I said smiling.

"Okay." He said. "Let's go now."

We went inside. He headed to the dining room and I went to the living room. I was smiling too broad that my cheeks hurt.

I sat between Nathan and Diego in the living room.

"What did grandpa say?" Andrew asked.

As soon as I opened my mouth to reply, Nathan shoved an oreo biscuit into my mouth. He made me chew it, forcefully.

Just as I chewed the first time, a bitter taste spread through my mouth.

I got up, trying not to throw up and ran to the kitchen. I washed my mouth with water.