6. Worst Fear

Its been a week since I first met the Romano family. They have visited my Mom often. They tried to talk to me but I was giving them a cold shoulder. They were getting silent treatment from me. That happens when my anger is at its extreme.

Trust me, if I am silent, there's something real wrong. And I'm beyond angry.

Whenever they came to visit. I would leave. Because I don't want my Mom to worry about me fighting with them.

I was sitting in the park outside the hospital. When I saw them go, I went up to my Mom's room. I was literally living in the hospital right now. I just went home to bath and change. Max and Kate were always there. They are great friends.

But they are still Idiots...

Mom has grown paler in the past week. She's getting weaker.

Although I have prepared myself for the dreaded day. But still thinking about it gives me shivers. I was sitting beside my Mom's bed clutching her hand in mine. I got up to hug her, kissed her on the forehead and wished her goodnight. I drifted off to sleep too.

I was having a dreamless sleep when I heard the dreadful sound and rushing of doctors and nurses. I got up from the chair, my Mom's hand cold in mine. I was horrorstruck.

Suddenly a nurse started pushing me outside. I collapsed as soon as I was out of the door. Tears spilling endlessly. I wanted to scream or punch something. But I felt so helpless. I couldn't do anything to protect the only family I had left. I sat against the wall. I pulled my knees to my chest. The beeping of the flatline adding to my remorse.

After about half an hour, Doctor Grace walked out of the room, with sorry written on her forehead.

"Sorry, we couldn't save her. We will also contact your family about this."

Family? What family? That family which didn't even know I exist? That family which didn't care if my mother lived or died? Those who didn't bother looking for her? Who didn't try talking to her about the incident before hating her?

I was slowly losing hope. My worst fear has come true. Losing my loved ones. I can't bear that.

I slid down the wall and cried my heart out. After there were no tears left, I stared at the wall blankly.

Mom's other family came soon after her death.

---------------------

It was five in the evening. I just got back from the funeral. It was still hard to believe Mom is not here with me. I was fidgeting with her wedding ring in my hand. I was walking with my brothers to their car.

"Elonzo will drive you to your home. You can pack your stuff and we can keep the other things in the storage unit at home." I nodded weakly.

Home....

We reached at my home, I went inside. There was still this small part in my brain that wanted Mom to call from the kitchen. But the house seemed not only silent but empty.

I went to my room, packed my important stuff. It took an hour to collect everything. Then I went to Mom's room. I started moving around, occasionally touching things.

I was fidgeting with the ring. It fell down and rolled under the bed. That's when I saw something behind the bed.

I looked at it...... Confused.

----------------

I know the chapters are short, but I'll try to make them longer from the next chapter.

Thanks😊