Chapter XXII

"So you're sure that Calliope isn't just trying to trick you again?" Aqua asked Rapunzel as she looked at the map. "What if Cassandra isn't really attacking the Spire?"

"Then we'll deal with it, but if she does need our help, we have to at least try," Rapunzel said and Aqua nodded.

"I chemically treated these thrusters so the flames will burn hotter and longer than any natural flame. You're gonna fly like the wind," Varian said before he saw Eugene touching the bucket of glue. "Don't touch that."

Eugene frowned and moved on to touch some of Varian's tools.

"Or that," Varian said as he tightened some bolts.

Eugene slumped before he went to try and touch the engine.

"OH MY- DON'T TOUCH THAT! IT'S GONNA BLOW!" Varian shouted and Eugene let out a scream as he fell back in the balloon. Varian laughed as he watched Eugene's reaction. "Gotcha! Just messing with ya."

Eugene got up with a grimace as Pascal laughed at him. "I knew that. And you're on my list, frog."

"Guys, focus," Rapunzel said and Aqua looked over at them. "Look at this. It took us weeks to get to the Spire on foot, but thanks to Varian's speed balloon and this direct route, we'll make it in a day."

"Hey, I helped with the balloon!" Aqua argued and Varian hummed. "Where's my credit?"

"Give yourself twelve percent credit, blue," Varian said with a grin and Aqua crossed her arms.

"Twelve percent?" She raised an eyebrow.

"An argument can be made for fifteen," Varian compromised and Aqua grimaced.

"Well good job to the both of you," Eugene said as he climbed out of the balloon and ruffled Varian's hair a little.

"Oh, wait," Varian started as he looked at the map. "This takes you over Kresten Loch." He looked at Rapunzel who didn't look fazed. "Uh, Kresten Loch? The frozen sea? Miles and miles of deadly wintry expanse?"

"That's the one!" Rapunzel confirmed.

"Well, if it were anybody other than you, I'd be worried," Varian said before he tried to move, but he fell with a yelp.

Aqua quickly looked down at Varian whose boots were glued down.

"Who glued my boots to the ground?" Varian looked at his foot and then at his boots.

"That's for your little balloon prank earlier. Eugene Fitzherbert never forgets!" Eugene smirked as he went to put the glue brush back into the bucket, but it was stuck to his hand.

"You're both dorks," Aqua said with a laughed before she helped Varian up and then helped Eugene get unstuck from the glue brush. "Now go on."

"Alright. See ya, Squirt!" Eugene smiled at her and then hopped into the balloon.

Varian and Aqua waved as they watched the balloon lift off.

"So, what's on the agenda for today?" Aquaria asked Varian and he hummed, slinging an arm around her waist.

"How about we take a nap?" Varian looked at her and she raised an eyebrow.

"You woke up a few hours ago," Aqua said and he hummed.

"Yeah, but I wanna snuggle. Please?" Varian gave her puppy dog eyes and she giggled.

"Then just asked to snuggle. I'm always up for snuggles," Aqua said and Varian pumped his fist in the air.

"Yes!" Varian cheered and he did a little happy dance before going back to Old Corona with Aqua.

🧪