Chapter XXVIII

As they all ran up to the castle, Eugene went to open the door.

"Oh, what? It's locked!" Eugenep cried before Ruddiger, mutated by one of Varian's concoctions, ran down the door. "It's unlocked!"

They all raced inside the castle to the throne room but there was no sign of Cassandra or Zhan Tiri.

"Huh?" Rapunzel looked around.

"Where are the bad guys?" Attila asked and Eugene hummed.

"I don't know, but let's just get that machine built before they get back!" Eugene said quickly. "Alright?"

Fidella led in the cart with all the materials needed to build the portal.

"I'm going to find Cassandra," Rapunzel said seriously.

"Sunshine." Eugene turned to her with a smile. "Good luck."

"You too," Rapunzel returned before she left to go find Cass.

Aquaria went with Varian and they started to build the portal to the netherworld.

🧪

"And... there!" Varian announced as he tightened the last bolt.

Aquaria stood up and smiled as she admired their work.

"Okay, just pull that lever, and we've got ourselves a transdimensional portal," Varian said with a light laugh.

"Oh! You weren't kidding! That was fast!" Eugene looked in shock.

"Okay, we've just gotta make sure everyone is clear of the portal or else, you know, they'll end up in limbo, right along with Zhan Tiri," Varian explained and Aqua held his hand.

"Although, I gotta admit, this all feels a little too eas-" Eugene started before a cry came from Quirin.

Aquaria whipped around to see Quirin trying to pull down the lever and everyone watched.

"For Cassandraaa!" His helmet glowed yellow as it shocked his neurons and stunned him.

Quirin started to seize up and he fell backwards, unconscious.

"Dad! Dad, don't worry!" Varian quickly knelt by his father's head. "You'll be okay, I promise."

Aquaria frowned, having hoped this wouldn't happen. She knelt beside Varian and put a hand on his shoulder gently.

"It's alright, Var. It worked," Aquaria murmured.

"What happened?" Eugene asked as he knelt on the opposite side of Varian, putting a hand on his shoulder as well.

"I thought about what you said so I took... precautions..." Varian looked to the side sadly. "I rigged his helmet with a temporary stun mechanism."

"Score one for Team Awesome!" Eugene cheered and laughed but Aquaria pulled a face, silently telling Eugene to shut up.

Varian let out a disheartened laugh. "Yeah... Team Awesome..."

"Let's say we get him someplace more comfortable, huh?" Eugene suggested and Varian smiled as he nodded.

Aquaria helped Eugene and Varian move Quirin to the side and she stayed by him.