10

The dark screen of the sedan was lifted and a pale hand reached out to land on the hand of Mu Jin, who had bent down beside the door of the sedan. After that, a foot that was wearing a slipper inlaid with precious stones and gold embroidery stepped out. Then there was a flash of a dress that moved like waves of water.

Liang shi looked at the woman who walked out of the sedan. The smile on her face didn't get smaller but the curve of her mouth froze. The Qu Qing Ju that stood in front of the her eyes, compared with the one that had returned home three days after the marriage was drastically different.

Following behind her was Qu Yue Su who saw that her mother's actions were not proper. She smiled and walked towards Qu Qing Ju. She bowed slightly and cordially said: "Jiejie finally came. Taitai and I have been eagerly waiting."

Qu Qing Ju heard those words as she walked towards Liang shi and said: "Originally, the preparations had started early, but wang ye wanted to come with me, so it took a bit longer." As she spoke, her person had walked in front of Liang shi, she slightly bent her body, "To let taitai wait so long, it is my fault."

It didn't matter how much Liang shididn't like Qu Qing Ju, but in front of so many people, she couldn't accept that slight bend of the body. She quickly grasped Qu Qing Ju's hand and bowed in return before saying: "Wang fei is busy with matters in the fu, and to be able to come so early, it is the filial love you hold for lao ye. [i]Don't say such things."

Everybody had been waiting to greet wang fei had come close and heard those words. They quickly followed in complimenting Qu Qing Ju. Not taking into account whether Duan Wang Fei was favoured or not, but just the importance that the entire family of the Marquis of Xiang Qing put on was enough to let them put importance on Duan Wang Fei. Moreover, looking at Duan Wang Fei's attire and the fact that Duan Wang had personally accompanied her, it was enough to declare Duang Wang Fei's place in Duang Wang's heart.

After Qu Qing Ju rejected the invitation to sit at the front,[ii] Liang shi didn't persist. No matter how honourable and high ranked Duan Wang Fei was, according to their social relationship, she was her mother. If she sat at the front, it was not wrong.

The bystanders saw what Liang shihad done and laughed inside at her stupidity. Technically, Duan Wang Fei did have to call her "mother" but right now she was one of the Imperial Family. You're putting on the act of being the mistress of the household but did you ever think that this would enrage wang ye, and disadvantage her husband and children? Duan Wang Fei might respect you for being her mother in name, did you expect an imperial son to give you that respect?

Whoever you were, you were always a fraction lower in front of members of the imperial family. Not to mention she was only the stepmother.

No wonder that the declining Liang Family had been so happy when their di daughter became the second wife of the Duke of Change De. With this kind of brains and upraising, she had made a match above her station.

Qu Qing Ju sat down at the highest place on the left side. She took a drink of tea before setting down the cup and turning to exchange chatter with the other furen.

"Wang fei's appearance looks much better," The one speaking was the wife of the Minister of Defense, Luo furen. She was also Qu Qing Ju's jiumu's mother. This old furen had paid attention to Qu Qing Ju and so nobody was surprised by the intimate tone, "This old one had remembered when it was time to add to wang fei's dowry, wang fei had been small and thin. It's just been a few months, but this old one almost couldn't recognize. You can see that Duan Wang Fu takes good care of people."