A New Buddy

" Finish it, Shazam! " Ben yells in encouragement as Robin, Superboy, and him duck for cover behind a stone chair as the demigod unleashes his last attack, effectively knocking out Black Adam.

" Score! " Superboy celebrates with a fist raised into the air once they're sure the villains out of commission.

The result of the fight leaves them bruised and slightly bleeding in some areas, but nothing too serious as to need immediate medical attention.

Ben - surprisingly, given the circumstances - is not as beat up compared to Superboy and Shazam. Granted they were prisoners of the villain but at least they're fine. Robin has the most bruises but the least externally bleeding injuries so he's good.

" We should probably restrain him, in case he wakes up. " Ben adds noticing the slight twitch of Black Adam's finger.

" On it. "

While Shazam's busy with his nemesis, Ben, Robin, and Superboy decide to take a look around the cave - to see if anything of importance got destroyed in the fight.

Other than the fact that a part of the floor is gone, a chunk of ceiling is now on the ground, and the seven deadly sins statue looking like they've seen batter days as they lie on their sides on the floor intact, everything is as good as can be.

Robin decides to take a different path then Ben and Superboy, suddenly having the feeling that something's off. Ben and Superboy on the other hand, are feeling like they could go for a smoothie.

" Tennyson. " Robin calls for the teen's attention, his tone of voice sounding jagged and on edge.

Noticing the underlying hint of irritation in Robin's word, Ben figures that it's something not that good, " What is it? "

Superboy and him jog to where Robin is, Shazam joining them halfway with Black Adam swung over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, out like a light.

Shazam's the first one by Robin's side, Superboy close behind and Ben - with the adrenaline finally riding off and body now happily welcoming a restful sleep - a few steps behind, " I'm going to go get smoothies who wants- oh, hey there guys. "

He awkwardly greets the Justice league members standing at the entrance of the cave looking none too happy.

" Would any of you care to explain why we got a emergency distress signal right after everything that just happened yesterday? " Green Arrow questions, arms crossed and foot tapping on the ground.

Batman doesn't even wait for them to answer, he walks up to the group, takes a hold of Black Adam from Shazam, and tosses him to Superman.

With that problem out of the way, he looks to the bird themed hero, " Robin, you took the Batjet without permission and came here without telling anyone and fought Black Adam unprepared. With Ben of all people. "

Ben has the feeling that he should be offended by that statement, but the detective isn't wrong.

" Where do you think you're going? You've got a lot of explaining to do, sneaking off to Fawcett city and lying to your mother and me. " Superman takes a hold of Superboy by the shoulder, and drags him to his side, he's face is smiling but his eyes aren't.

While Robin and Superboy are being grilled by Batman and Superman for how irresponsible and borderline stupid they were for sneaking out and fighting against a dangerous supervillain by themselves, Shazam and Ben are standing on the sidelines awkwardly.

The rest of the justice League have temporarily forgotten the two, too caught up with surveying the damages the cave has obtained in the fight.

Shazam's actually doing fine, but he notices that Ben isn't looking so good himself. He guessez it's the lack of sleep finally getting to Ben, and that he might just knock out sooner or later.

And it's sooner rather than later, when Ben doesn't even have the energy to stand properly on his own two feet, swaying from side to side as the exhaustion from the fight and sleep deprivation finally takes a hold of him and he falls forward and into Shazam's arms, out like the dead.

" Yeah, could we talk about this later? Ben hasn't slept for like an entire day, I think. So we'll see you soon? Great, bye! " Not giving the heroes anytime to retort, he grabs the bag - filled with potentially dangerous weapons - lying in the same corner it was left in and flies out of the cave like his life depends on it.

He figures Ben's Tenn-speed 2.0 will just have to be picked up on a later date.

" So who's going to drop by and give those two a visit? " Flash asks without a hint of shame, earning a judging look from Wonder woman and a blank stare from Red Tornado.

" What? Like that wasn't what GA, Bats and Superman were planning to do? "

Batman throws him the batglare at that statement, to which he decisively ignores with a turn of his head, whistling a tune.

It's about two days before Ben's up and running again like a normal human being, caught up on his sleep and rest.

At the current moment he's running his smoothie and chilli fries shop that hasn't really opened for a while due to all the fighting and chaos that's been happening.

" Hey John, Damian, surprise seeing you here, what can I get you? " He gets a surprise visit from the two young teens, the former looking around the shop with wonder in his eyes, the latter wearing a frown on his face as he looks at the younger customers running around.

" Can I get a weekend surprise smoothie and an extra large chilli fries? " Johnathan asks, eyes finally looking at the menu on the table top.

" Tt. I'll have a smoothie. " Damian orders, getting particular ticked when a toddler swings a fries at him and giggles.

Nodding his head, Ben heads to the kitchen to get started on their orders, " Sure thing! "

Once Ben's out of earshot, Johnathan turns to Damian and asks unsure, " Are you sure it's a good idea to come here without our dads knowing? "

" We're here for lunch and it just so happens that the place we chose to have lunch is the exact shop Tennyson runs. " The young Wayne tilts his head up slightly in response, as if daring Johnathan to find fault with his 'logic'.

Not really caring and more focused on his rumbling stomach, Johnathan shrugs his shoulders and continues to look around the shop in wonder, " If you say so. "

It's a little while before Ben's done with their food and comes back out to serve them to the boys, " How much is it? " Jonathan asks, taking out his wallet while Damian places a credit card on the table.

" It's on the house. " The answer takes the two by surprise, " Take it as thanks, for helping out Shazam and I with Black Adam. "

" But- "

" Excuse me, I'm sorry to interrupt, but are you Ben Tennyson? "

With the sudden question thrown by a teenager who looks older than Ben with blond hair and black eyes framed by spectacles, the three simultaneously turn to look at him in question.

Taking back his credit card, Damian's eyes squint as he somehow finds the teen familiar, " That's me, what's up? " Ben asks with a tilt of his head.

" I'm Robby Reed, and I need your help. "

Ben blinks at the hand held out to him for a shake, Damian's eyes slightly widen at the name in recognition, and Johnathan chokes on his smoothie.

And amidst his coughing, the two younger teens make eye contact with each other along with an understanding that comes with it.

The understanding that for some strange, strange reason, trouble always seems to find Ben.