A Thousand Slowly Dying Sunsets

"God knows what is hiding
in this world of little consequence
Behind the tears, inside the lies
A thousand slowly dying sunsets
God knows what is hiding
in those weak and drunken hearts
I guess the loneliness came knocking
No one needs to be alone, oh save me

People help the people
And if you're homesick,
give me your hand and I'll hold it
People help the people
Nothing will drag you down
Oh and if I had a brain, Oh and if I had a brain
I'd be cold as a stone and rich as the fool
That turned, all those good hearts away"

NOTE: Flashbacks are italicised; Y/N's/George's POV in bold

--

24 June 1995

-Y/N-

It was the golden hour. The sunset painted everything it touched as I wandered by the Astronomy Tower which held a huge part of my heart since that one perfect night of the Yule Ball. I found the place still as enchanted as it was during that evening. It was not just about that magical moment George and I shared. Somehow, this part of the castle seemed undisturbed, and I found solace in watching the sun slowly being swallowed by the horizon, leaving nothing but a slight warmth and magnificent skies. The day was almost perfect, if it wasn't for the fact that it was the last day of the tournament. As scary as it was, we all needed to find ways in order to ensure that Harry would be safe. However, these things were beyond anyone's control. 

Few months before that June afternoon, I learned that my father came back near Hogwarts, surviving on rats, enduring his fleas, and hiding inside a cave not that far from Hogsmeade. My heart sunk seeing him again for the first time after a few long months since I first held him. He truly cared about Harry and treated him as his own that he survived these things. I made the most of every Hogsmeade visit to make sure that I could give him as much food as I can, sneaking them in my enchanted satchel which I was ever so grateful for. He lived mainly in his Animagus form but would transform every time we visited him so he can give Harry advice. He had also sneaked out to the Dark Forest once or twice just so we can spend time. I was ever grateful that Dumbledore was aware of my father's condition and that he helped me in ensuring that Sirius would be alright. Somehow, he felt something bad was going to happen. I could not blame him, not when he spent most of his time in Azkaban bearing the Death Eaters' constant mumblings and screams. Terror was coming.

After my last exam, I found myself alone again before the last task. I was pondering what we'd do in case something happens to Harry, which I dreaded thinking about. What if after all that had happened before the term meant something? What if was all planned out? What if Harry's dreams were warnings? People die in the tournament.

Before I completely lose my sanity by thinking about it, I heard familiar footsteps and quickly felt fingers lacing with mine. Of course, I knew who it was. His hand was calloused yet soft and warm, and can clasp mine with ease. I broke my gaze at the sunset to see the long-haired lad watching me. A smile crept into my lips as soon as I met those orbs he had which conveyed messages only the two of us can understand. 

"I knew I'd find you here," he said, tightening his grip on my hand. 

I simply nodded and ran my thumb against his hand, "I needed time to think."

"I know." George lifted my hand gently and placed a soft, reassuring kiss on the back of my hands. "He will be okay."

George and I hadn't really discussed our relationship. With him being on his sixth year and me on my fifth, we were still a bit too young and quite reluctant to admit what we have.  It was not official, as other's would call it, but we both were willing to wait and fully figure things out. We both were eager to explore the depth of our connection as we fear to lose each other should we decide to move too fast. Although, one thing was for sure - we both admitted that we deeply care for each other and that we love each other, and that from that night onward, we became each other's person.