Grim Old Place

WARNINGS: Mentions of death and loss; depression, grief

3 July 1995

Something was wrong when Y/N woke up that morning. They had been staying over Lupin's house since Dumbledore ordered the re-assembling of the Order of the Phoenix. Sirius was the one mainly responsible for gathering the old crowd, however, it was more difficult than expected. Sirius was still vulnerable as disappearances were still being blamed onto him. 

Her mother promised to come and join them, which Sirius and Dumbledore were quite reluctant about. Sirius would not let her know why, neither did Dumbledore. It was as if they were protecting her from something, like what Sirius did before. Her mother was a part-Veela and people knew Veelas as powerful, magical creatures. Y/N did not doubt that it was because of Voldemort raising his army again. But it seemed as though her mother knew something that they ought to protect. 

Y/N paced her room in Lupin's house, trying to fix the enchanted wrist-watch her mum gave her. It was quite similar to the Weasley Clock, but hers was connected to the one her mother was wearing. The watch was bewitched to let the other person know about the safety of the other bearer. The name of the other bearer glowed gold as a reminder that the other was safe, scarlet, if the other was in danger, and black, if the other was lost or dead.

Y/N was pale white and her heart raced the instance she saw her mother's name, quite unusual, as if the gold was fading. She refused to believe that something was wrong when they were about to pick her mother up from the train station that day. In a blink, the golden shimmer of Anais' name turned a vivid black colour, and the usual pink rose beside it wilted. 

"No. Something might be wrong with the enchantment," she shook her head, wiping the tears that already sprang from her eyes and cascaded into her ghostly face. 

"Dad?" she hurriedly ran to the study where Sirius, Remus, and the others were meeting. "I am sorry. I'm afraid it can't wait."

Sirius saw the terror in her daughter's face so he rushed towards her and took her to the living area, brows furrowed as he watched her daughter trembling, "What is it, my dear?"

"I-it can't b-be... My watch must be... faulty... but mum's name... faded to black, and the rose wilted. D-daddy. You can fix t-this r-right? T-this -is just faulty enchantment right?" Y/N stammered, trying to compose herself while she showed Sirius the watch. "I guess... there must be..."

Sirius knew what it meant. Blood drained from his face at the realisation that the watch Y/N was wearing was one of the pair of watches he gave Anais before parting ways. He himself had enchanted that watch, and knew that it was not just a faulty... it meant what it was supposed to -- Anais was in grave danger.

"We'll leave at once." Sirius held his daughter tight and kissed his forehead before rushing inside the study to alert the other members. All of them started assembling to find her mother, leaving Y/N wondering and even more scared that something bad had really happened.