When I Look at You

--

"Everybody needs inspiration
Everybody needs a song
A beautiful melody
When the night's so long
'Cause there is no guarantee
that this life is easy

When my world is falling apart
When there's no light to break up the dark
That's when I look at you
When the waves are flooding the shore
and I can't find my way home anymore
That's when I look at you

When I look at you, I see forgiveness
I see the truth
You love me for who I am
Like the stars hold the moon
Right there where they belong
And I know I'm not alone

You appear just like a dream to me
Just like Kaleidoscope colors that
Cover me, all I need
Every breath that I breathe
Don't you know you're beautiful?
"
--

May 1998; Post-War

The war required sacrifices – lives lost for the lives gained. Y/N had lost the people over the course of the war, from even before it officially began. She finally came into terms that the casualties were crucial for them to obtain the victory, and now they had won. The already toppled the enemies because they believed the cause, and because Harry willingly sacrificed himself, too. Few hours after the battle, all those who were injured were tended. All those who remained, however, were either celebrating or mourning their loss.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione spent a quiet time together and returned the Elder Wand to Dumbledore's tomb. McGonagall, who assumed the post as the Headmistress, arranged the Great Hall and rebuilt some of the ruined parts so the remaining ones could gather and pay respects to the fallen warriors. The DA members stayed around to help in rebuilding some parts of the castle. Kingsley was appointed as interim Minister of Magic.

Y/N stayed in the castle with the Weasleys and took it upon herself to arrange a proper ceremony in reverence to those they lost in the battle despite how frightened she was about cutting her own wound open. She lost both parents with no bodies to bury, mourn over, or pay respect to. But she knew it was the right thing to do.

"I guess we can hold the funeral ceremony here, in the Great Hall," said Y/N as she sat with the remaining Order and DA members, and the Hogwarts faculty. "Then we should allow their families to bury their dead, with honour and dignity. We should allow them mourn their losses privately."

The silence between the table was deafening as each of them pondering the idea. It was, perhaps, because the news about the departed was arduous and it took much will-power to identify who could possibly do such thing.

"I agree," Kingsley nodded, "I will make arrangements for those who'd like to come."

"Shouldn't we wait and plan?" asked Hermione, a bit reluctant to see the bereaved.

"No. It must be done the soonest possible time, not later than today." Y/N voice was firmer this time, like how George clasped her hand under the table. Y/N, of all people, knew how difficult it was to wait for such news, and George was there to see her suffer through the process and fully agreed that waiting was not an option.

Luna cleared her throat and looked at them with her wide, bewildering eyes and smiled at Y/N. "I think Y/N's right. We should not prolong their agony. That way, those who've gone could travel in peace as well."

"Very well. We shall start preparing and have hall ready." McGonagall rose from the table and turned her head towards Y/N, "I hope it'd be fine for you to take charge, Ms. Black."

"Of course, professor." She nodded, addressed the team, and they dispersed to their designated tasks.

--