Chapter One

(so... this story is incredibly insensitive to mental health. i wrote this before actually experiencing suicide, depression, self harm, etc. in full and had a very basic and child-like understanding of it. it's not a BAD fic, but in my opinion it's poorly written and unrealistic. read it if you want! but don't take this seriously, and please know this isn't how i view these serious topics anymore. im sorry if i offended, upset, or made anyone uncomfortable while reading in the past. thank you all for the support, comments, and votes on this story and all my others.)

Trigger Warning!!

there was a light breeze, making your hair swirl in soft strands across your cheeks. the sun had just completely set, and the only natural light was the one the moon cast over Beach City.

it was a small town, not even on any major maps, inhabited by a unique mix of humans and gems. they weren't bothersome in the slightest, honestly easy to befriend after getting over their unusual appearances.

you were atop one of the large grassy hills surrounding Beach City, a sheer drop at the end that overlooked the rocky ocean below. the other hill -on the other side of town- had a bright lighthouse, where Ronaldo anxiously watched the stars in hopes of spotting something magical. he was beginning to nod off, but continuously smacked himself awake in fear of missing something.

walking up the boardwalk was Peedee, happy to go home after an exhausting day in the fry shop. he glanced back towards the lighthouse, contemplating going up and begging his brother to just come home. he ultimately decides against it and continues, knowing it would be a lost cause.

Sadie and Shep just drove past the welcome sign to Beach City. they had eaten dinner with Sadie's mom and were tiredly heading back to their apartment in Empire City. some of Greg Universe's old songs played softly in the background.

under the other cliffside, was the one and only Steven Universe. he stood on the balcony of his bedroom in blue pajamas, watching the stars with a tired smile. when he turned halfway to go inside, he noticed you on the cliff. you looked like a dot so far away, but he could still make out how dangerously close you were to the edge of the cliff.

you peered down at the calm sand, wondering how long of a fall it would be, more morbid questions filling your head.

what would happen if you 'slipped'?

would it hurt?

you inched closer to the edge.

an uneasy feeling swirled in Stevens's stomach as he looked at you. he contemplated just going to bed, but shook the idea off and hopped over the balcony's railing. he jogged across the sand -though it wasn't really a 'jog' thanks to his gem- without taking his eyes off of you. you paid him no mind, barely even noticing him through your clouded thoughts.

he skidded to a shaky stop at the bottom of the cliff, looking up at you in worry. he cupped his hands over his mouth and yelled, "are you okay?!"

you offered no response. so deep in thought that you didn't even notice his fearful words floating up the cliffside. you shuffled forward, the tips of your shoes hanging over the edge. Stevens's heartbeat quickened.

you allowed your eyes to close, taking a deep breath before falling forward freely.

Steven bent his shaky knees and jumped into the air, floating up enough to catch you gently before you could hit the ground. the rush of adrenaline had caused you to faint, which Steven was oddly thankful for.

he let out a nervous breath when his feet touched the sand, starting the trek home slowly without taking his eyes off of you.

(edited!) ((again))