1.05.1

Midsummers

𓇽

"This is our one last hurrah." My mom said handing me my dress she had just steamed.

"Midsummers is what you consider as a hurrah?" I asked, grabbing it.

She nodded. "Kie is going so I thought you'd still want to go."

"Mom, my friend just went to jail." I sighed. "But I do like hanging out with Kie, and for you, I'd do anything."

She smiled and hugged me. "Thank you."

I smiled and walked back up the stairs to my room. My window was open and JJ sat on my bed, head down.

"JJ!" I said shutting the door and hugging him. "Gosh you scared me to death." JJ looked down at me with tears in his eyes, face covered in bruises and dried blood.

"Oh baby." I muttered rubbing my thumb over the re-busted lip.

"I hate him. I-I-" he started today but I just pulled him back into a hug. "Sh sh sh. It's okay." I let go and held up a finger to him and went into my bathroom grabbing peroxide and a washcloth. I put water on one end and peroxide on the other.

I sat on JJ's lap and tended to the wounds on his face.

"That son of a bitch." I muttered under my breath angirly. Who could even think about doing something like this to a kid?

After I finished I sat the towel on the ground and just looked at JJ, almost as if I was searching for a response.

"Thank you." JJ said barely auditable.

I smiled at him a little and JJ grabbed me pulling me back into a hug.

"Thank you."

𓇽

I stared at myself in the mirror looking at my dress. It was a long, satin, emerald green dress paired with a small flower crown that had flowers hanging down the back.

I thought I looked pretty.

I slipped on my shoes and walked down stairs to see my mom all dressed up. "You look really pretty mom." I said. She smiled and looked down at her dress. "So do you dear. Now this is the last thing we'll ever do as kooks so let's have fun, Rose and Gia are in the island club too and they'll be hurt to hear about my absence."

"Yeah I bet." I almost said sarcastically. I didn't understand the point of paying all this money to go to a fancy country club, but it seemed to give my mom a lot of joy. And she was still under Chad's membership so she was glad she could go today.

"Heard anything for JJ?" She asked.

I nodded. "He's out on bail."

"That's great. Oh my lanta look at the time." She muttered, grabbing her purse.

"Now act like you want to be there okay?"

"No promises."

𓇽

I let out a sigh of relief as I saw pope and Kie standing next to each other. "Finally some authentic people." I beamed doing the pogue handshake with both of them.

"You look really pretty Addie." Kie said. I smiled "so do you! This dress is beautiful."

I stood next to Kie and looked around at the people.

"Have you ever seen this many kooks in one place?" Kie asked.

"Yeah. Last year." Pope muttered.

"Where in the lion's den." I said sighing looking around at the rich people socializing.

"Exactly. Have you heard from JJ?" Pope asked.

"Yeah he's out on bail and 30 thousand in restitution, hearings in two weeks." I said

"What's up with y'all anyways?"Kie asked.

I blushed and shrugged. "We May have, ya know. But we're not official, or at least he hasn't asked to be."

Kie smiled. "Finally! John b Lee's me 10 bucks."

Pope sighed. "This is all my fault."

"You didn't do this pope. Topper almost killed you Remember?"

People started clapping and I looked over to see Cameron's walk out. I let out a giggle seeing the roses outfit.

"Here comes more capital and the exploiters." Kie said

"Oh my Lord. What is that on her head." I giggled

"She's differently going to poke someone's eye out."

𓇽

"Why aren't you out dancing." Pope said as I stood next to him by the grill.

"I may be a tad kook, but this isn't my style." I muttered while taking a sip of my water. "Plus I'd much rather be hanging out with my best friend."

I looked over to a waiter and my smile fell. "Am I delirious or is that JJ." I muttered.

Pope looked over and as soon as JJ walked over, Pope grabbed him.

"Dude don't sneak up on me like that right now." JJ said

Pope pulled JJ into a huge hug and I smiled at my two boys. "Woah. Unexpected PDA there Dr. Spock." He said pulling away. "But hey uh love you to man." He said, kissing his cheek.

I giggled and smiled a little.

"And you. Hello to you Ms. Welch." He said leaning down to kiss me too. "Mr. Maybanks." I greeted the same way. "Might I add you like beautiful tonight."

"You don't look too bad yourself. I'm in love with this bow tie." I said flicking it lightly he smiled and leaned down and kissed me once more.

"JJ." Pope said and he hummed turning around. "Dude, I'm sick over all this shit man."

"You're sick? You don't seem sick?" JJ said, putting his back hand on his forehead to check his temperature.

"I have Advil." I added.

"I'm sick on the inside."

"Right well I already knew that."

Pope looked at JJ and squenched his eyes. "Did shoupe do that?"

"Oh this? No. This is- it's my dad. You know? He's got that right jab. Can really snap it off at times."

"That looks like more than a jab bro."

JJ shook his head and looked at me for a sec and then back at pope. "It's Nothing that hasn't happened before."

My face winced a little and I batted my eyes fast to not even think of letting any tears out.

"I'll see you boys later okay." I said kissing popes cheek and JJ also. "JJ I don't know why your heart, but play nice."

𓇽