1.08.1

The Runaway

𓇽

I woke up the next morning, jj arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me into his chest. I blinked my eyes and looked around realizing we never moved from the couch last night.

I slowly lifted his arm off me and got off of the couch and went into the kitchen. JJ needs sleep. He was emotionally and physically tired. Probably starving too. I had a feeling the only thing he's eaten or drank in awhile was champagne.

Heating up a pan, I put my headphones in my ears and cooked up any food that hadn't gone bad from the power outage.

I hummed to the music in my ears lightly and just sat the food on plates. Kie and pope were coming over soon anyways to fish up our tin to pull the gold out of the well.

My music stopped playing out of my headphones and turned around to see JJ holding up my phone.

"Are you listening to tourist music?" He asked, looking at me. I glared at him and tried to grab my phone back. "This is my favorite song." I muttered.

"Bumpy ride by Mohombi? That's your favorite song." He asked.

I huffed and put an Hand on my hip. "I made you breakfast and all you do is criticize my music taste."

"Also you're dancing. It was pretty bad." He said.

I rolled my eyes and walked up to the boy leaning in really close. I grabbed my phone and hit play, sitting it on the counter.

"Really?" He asked.

I smiled and grabbed his hand. "Dance with me, lover boy."

He smiled and we danced in the kitchen together to the next few songs in my playlist.

"PG dancing guys."

I turned around and smiled and pope and Kie who just walked in the kitchen

"I made breakfast."

Kie laughed and shook her head. "Thanks Addie."

"Pope! Excited for the interview tomorrow? You'll get it I'm sure of it. And If you don't, I'll personally go down to the school and tell them to shove it up their a-"

"Okay Addie I get it!"

𓇽

"how's it feeling?" Pope asked me and Kie who sat in the bin.

"Feels good." She said,

"Taking y'all down." Pope said.

"John b pulling a Houdini." JJ said from the hot tub.

" Does fishing last this long?" I asked as pope started to lower us to the ground.

"I got my scholarship interview tomorrow morning. We gotta get this done." Pope said.

"Speak of the devil. Hey!" JJ said and I smiled down at John b who just walked up.

"Dude I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything." JJ said.

"No he did not. Me and Addie did that." Pope said.

I looked at John b confused as he just kept walking without saying anything. "JB?" I asked getting out of the bucket and run to the front of the house.

"Hey!"

"Okay that's it?" JJ asked.

"Uh what's that all about?" Pope asked

"I was gonna ask you the same question."

"Something's wrong." I mumbled as I swung the front door open to see John b throwing cabinets open frantically.

"John b what's wrong." I asked.

"What's wrong man, what's up?"

"What are you looking for?"

"Bro what's going on?"

I watched as John b looked behind the couch cushion and picked up the gun, My eyes went wide.

"John b, what do you need the gun for?" JJ asked the boy to walk up.

"JB whats. Wrong." I said

"Talk to us!" JJ yelled just to get pushed on the couch bed by John b harsley.

"John b calm down! What's the matter?" I yelled at him looking at the boy like he was insane.

"What are you doing!"

"What are you JJ now?" Pope asked, just getting thrown like JJ.

"Oh this is enough of this." I muttered ruining the door.

"Johnathan Booker Rutledge, you better tell me what the hell is happening!" I yelled at him furiously as I watched him get on the bike and start it.

"Ward knows about the gold." John b said his voice breaking. "He killed my dad."

I watched as he sped away on the dirt bike and I slapped my hand over my mouth.

"John b!" Kie yelled as he and pope chased after him.

"He's going to get himself killed!" I yelled upset.

"He's gonna get himself killed."

𓇽

"I'll stay here in case he comes back." I said, crossing my arms looking up at JJ. "If he comes back with blood on his hands and he's got wards body on the front porch, someone's gotta be here."

He chuckled a tad and rubbed his face. "Why do you have to be so caring?"

I smiled and leaned my head up and he kissed my lips softly. "I'll see y'all tomorrow okay?"

He nodded and kissed my forehead. "Love you."

"Love you too." I smiled.

I sat on the couch mattress of John h house thinking about my life.

It was crazy wasn't it? Something out of a movie. Here we were basically right on top of the gold, and then everything seemed to fall apart. Our mental health especially.

John b and JJ just broke and i figured it wasn't long until Kie or pope broke next. I don't know when I'd break. Probably the second everyone else did.

I heard a car pull up in the yard and I sighed in relief standing up. The door opened and closed and I heard John b. "Pope? Kie?" He said, flicking on his flashlight.

"Just me JB." I said walking into his view.

"You're still here?" He asked.

I nodded. "I would never leave you to dispose of a dead body on your own now would I?"

John b smiled and sniffled as I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him as he cried.

He sniffled and pulled away smiling at me. "Love you add."

"I love you JB. You're my brother, my best friend, and I'll always be here for you okay?" I said.

He smiled lightly, tears still covered his eyes and I pulled him back in.

𓇽

I sat silently next to John b on the boat dock as he set fire to a makeshift raft that held the photo of his dad.

He turned it around to look at it one more time.

"Good bye dad." He said placing the raft in the water.

He leaned his head on my shoulder and watched big John be pushed further and further out.

"I'll miss you." John b whispered

𓇽