1.10.3

𓇽

I stood next to Kie tapping my foot anxiously. I hated this plan. So much and everyone was just so fine with it.

"Dude, where is he?" Kie asked the question that was in everyone's minds.

"Give him a second. Hell he's here."

"He's coming. Hell he's fine."

My heart dropped as I looked over at a police car that pulled up, sirens ringing.

"Jj!" I said more as a question.

"Hey, yeah. Get back on the boat. Get back on the boat. Untie it." He said.

"Shit." Kie said

"Guys." I muttered looking at John b who just got out of the police car. I smiled a little and ran towards him pulling him into a big hug.

"Wait. No way."

"No effing way."

"I'm sorry."

"You've gotta be kidding me." Kie said.

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin." John b joked pulling away from me.

"Okay that's believable. I'll buy that for now." Kie said hugging John b.

"It wasn't easy bro, but I got the phantom for you, she runs like she was made yesterday." JJ said, throwing the Keys to John b. "Ready to go."

"Where's Sarah?" John b asked.

"She's not with you?" Kie asked.

"No, we got separated in the swamp. She said she'd meet me here." John b said frantically.

"No, we haven't seen her yet."

"Okay well I'm not leaving without her."

"John b, look at me. I know you feel bad for leaving? But there's no time, man. You got plenty of gas, plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to dismal swamp okay?" JJ said. It all kind of hit me that it was finally happening. Tears streamed down my face as I stared at my best friend. The boy who teached how to fish, how to tie my shoes, and how to talk to boys. John b helped me throw the ruffs patches of my life and He was my brother.

"Once you get there, lay low alright? Hang out for a couple of weeks and then go overland, cross the border at Brownsville, you got that? Brownsville." JJ said. John b wasn't looking at JJ however, he was making eye contact with me, watching me cry lightly. "You- hey! You got that?" jj said grabbing John b face making him look at him. "Yeah, yeah. Brownsville."

"Alright. Saddle her up, saltwater cowboy. Let's do this." JJ said, hopping out of the boat.

"Yeah." John b said getting in. "Hey." He said turning around, crying a little now too. "I'm sorry for basically.. throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunt thing." He said

"Hey, John b, yo.. we were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?" JJ said.

I smiled lightly at John b, everyone seemed to be crying now.

"At least we did it together though." JJ said, wrapping his around me and Kie. "Pogue style."

"Pogue style." John b whispered, his voice breaking.

"Get out of here! Please." Kie said to him.

"Now. We'll see you in two months down in Mexico." Pope said.

"Addie?" John b asked.

I nodded. "Go. Love you."

"Love you."

"Hey hey wait a second." John b said. "Tell Sarah I said goodbye okay?"

I realized the tears were probably more for Sarah than for us.

"Don't forget. Cross the border at Brownsville, okay?"

"Got it."

We pushed the boat off and I watched my best friend drive off into the ocean. Hopefully I will see him in the next two months.

John b was now out of view and jj led me off the dock, I guess for pope and Kie to talk. Or for us to talk.

But we didn't. He just grabbed me, and held me tightly. "He's going to be okay." JJ whispered into my hair.

"I hope so." I muttered. I opened my eyes a little and pulled away, banging on JJ's chest. "Look look." I whispered. I smiled over at Kie and pope who were kissing on the dock.

"Finally." JJ whispered. Sirens got closer and I looked at JJ worriedly. "Guys guys, I'm sorry to ruin the party, but uh, we gotta go right now. Come on." Pope and Kie jogged off the dock but it was too late.

Cop cars surrounded us and I immediately put my hands up.

"Pope!"

"Move. Hands up! Hands up!" An SBI agent said running towards us with guns

"Pope hands."

"We're too late. He's gone. God damn it!" Shoupe yelled. "Brantcher, have your guys stand down. Let's talk to these kids. All Right, where the hell is he?"

"Where the hell is he?"

"Jj? I see you're livin up to your name."

"Pope how about you? This isn't a fucking game! You can do the right thing now where'd he go!"

"Addie? You hang around trash and you get dirty. What happened to the perfect princess I knew? Where'd he go!"

𓇽