Place

Place

It's marathon day.

I got my team on standby for medical reasons of course. I guess I'll be seeing a lot more of them.

I am good at pacing.

I have mini me by my side. The world has finally met this little boy. He loves the attention.

And not to my surprise he's the fastest boy on earth. Literally.

"Hey, Izzy how long do you want to finish this by?" Isadore asks me.

"Four and a half hours. But I'll stick by you." I put a hand on his shoulder.

He shakes his head at me. "If you want to finish in four it'll take me five and a half to seven hours. Don't slow down because of me. I'll meet you at the finish."

"You sure?"

"Yup. I'll probably beat half these geezers anyways. You better be the first to cross that line."

I smile, "I will get there and I will be first. I'll see you there."

I look around me and see hundreds of people. They'll all be running alongside me. Even some of my security have dressed down for this moment.

I hope they know that they won't stand a chance.

They can run 11 kilometres max.

I can go 36 kilometres at a steady pace and this race is 42 kilometres.

Soon enough the race starts. I start off slow. I like to see others think they are ahead when I creep past them.

It gives me something to look forward to.

I'm wasting time. I said four hours and a half and I just spent one hour at a mediocre pace. I used to go on trips with my dad in PEI where I'd run and he'd drive. I wasn't allowed to stop till I physically couldn't move.

It's time to pick up some speed.

I briefly turn back to see mini-me going strong.

I know he'll be okay.

I begin going at my slow pace. I make it to the front of the group in no time.

The looks I get are hysterical.

I promised Afi that I would stop and take a break at 23km. I pretty much dash there and head to my team who are obligated to check up on me keep me hydrated before I can go again.

They are taking way too long some random person already passed this mark and I said I'll be there first!

Oh my gosh! Who told them to put athletic tape on my legs! My heart rate is way too steady. I need to go.

Now!

When I can leave I dash. I'm not letting a sucker wearing meggings beat me.

I dash down a hill past this man and I go strong.

The double look he takes gives me energy.

But he's a contender. He matches my speed and by now I am slowing. I can't keep my full sprint going.

To my surprise, he can't keep up either. We both settle at a jog.

When we reach 40km I pick up speed. I am sprinting that last kilometre as if my life depends on it.

The last kilometre is normal pavement. I sprint. Meggings guy does too. I can see the finish and he is beating me.

My lungs are burning and I want to stop but I won't.