Winner

Winner

I start stretching for the long jump.

I don't pay much attention to the men.

Katarina starts us off. She is a fairly tall woman. I guess we are all fairly tall women but still. She is 6 foot and I am 5'10 so she is tall. This is the event she beat me in in qualifiers all those years ago.

She claps and gets the rhythm of the crowd on her side.

She runs and jumps. She doesn't even touch the board but made an impressive 6.59 as a start.

Able is my long jump girl. She's up next.

She didn't want anyone to talk to her while she got in her zone.

When Able jumps, she soars, and it's a beautiful sight.

I cheer for her as she makes an astounding 6.94 meters.

A personal best.

Most of my team hasn't trained for track since their high school or college days.

Next up is me. I only get to 6.70. At least it's better than Katarina.

Throughout all three attempts, no one could get close to Able.

Behind her was Lisa, who's best jump was at 6.87.

Bev is the last jumper today. She is certain that she can beat Able. Her best jump today is right behind Lisa, with 6.86 metres.

Bev jumps and flies. Her extension is insane. I think she might have gotten it.

But I don't like the way she landed. It was a bit off.

I knew something was wrong when she didn't get up immediately.

Bev raises her hand, and I know it's bad.

I race over as the team captain.

"Beverly, look at me. Tell me what's wrong."

She doesn't speak, but she slides her hands over her thigh above the knee.

She can't get up.

I call over the emergency team.

Bev is taken to the hospital. Tom goes with them. He has no more events.

She got a good second though.

Wait... Bev is supposed to be in two more events.

I call an emergency meeting with the captains, managers and judges who are keeping track of our scores.

"Beverly is supposed to run in the next event," I say.

"You all sat down and made the rules. If four members of the team do not compete, they are disqualified from that event." One of the judges says.

"Then we can put in Jennifer right?" Joey questions.

"Wrong. Any member who has already competed in an event cannot change or be switched in or out." Mari says.

Why did we make that stupid rule?

I look at the overall roster and think.

An imaginary light bulb turns on above my head.

I smile, "we have someone who's on the roster who hasn't competed yet."

"Who?" They all ask.

"Afi..." I laugh.

They all think I'm crazy.

"What? Afi Mensah is on the roster. Look for yourself. It's not specified what part of the team she's under. Her name is there, and there are no rules against it. She's even wearing the uniform." I point out.