Chapter 23

A boy, around the age of nineteen walks out from behind a big tree trunk, "I am sorry if I startled or upset you. I am here because I feel like I have information you may need."

I glance at Zane and he nods which tells me to hear this boy out. I look back over to the boy, "what kind of information do you have?"

"I have information about Valanter," he says bluntly.

I keep my face expressionless, "and what do you want in return?"

"I would like you to teach me to use my powers. I would love to learn something from a Laren Master. Please."

I open a one-sided link between myself and this boy to hear his thoughts.

I wonder what she wants with Valanter, but it is probably better not to ask why she seeks its location.

I don't drop the link yet to hear his true reaction to my next question.

"What are your intentions with the information you will receive with this training?"

"I want to be a defender in Paleric, but I can't use my powers. I am constantly picked on in school and they all say I don't have the powers because no one knows who my dad is. I just want to prove them wrong."

He isn't lying, his intentions are pure and if he ends up changing, I will put a stop to him.

"I will do it for the information. Where shall we begin training?"

He has a giddy look on his face, "the training field behind the school, come on," he takes my hand and drags me to the school's backyard.

There is equipment everywhere and there are structures that provide shade to draw shadows from.

"Where do you want to start," the boys asks.

"How about your name," I state.

"Oh right, sorry. My name is Malik. What's yours, if you don't mind me asking?"

"You can call me Tara, and this is Luke," I gesture to Zane.

"He is so big and looks so fluffy. Can I pet him?"

I look to Zane and he nods while wagging his tail.

I smile and mumble, "Attention seeker."

To this comment Zane glares at me and Malik laughs. Malik walks up to Zane's six-foot frame and strokes his soft fur. Zane looks confused.

"You are so soft Luke," Malik smiles while hugging Zane.

Are you okay Zane?

Yes, I just have a weird feeling about Malik, it isn't bad, but I don't know what it is.

Okay, if you figure it out, let me know.

Will do.

"Okay Malik, we will start with making shadows. Focus on the darkness in that shelter," I point to a wooden structure, "and bring a dark shadow from it. Focus on its dark form and it being removed from the darkness, into the sun. Close your eyes for the first time, it helps."

I see his trying to concentrate, but he is getting frustrated when it doesn't work.

"Take a few deep breaths to calm down, focus on the magic flowing inside of you and use it to force the shadow out of its hiding."

He does as I say, and I see a ball of darkness come closer to where we are standing. Malik slowly opens his eyes and starts to get excited.

"Make sure to keep concentration Malik. I want you to envision a form for the shadow to take, it can be anything at all."